Getting Chicks in Denver in Two Weeks!

MissKelli

Hatching
Feb 1, 2016
Hi, All,

It's cold and snowy out, so naturally it's time to reserve chicks! Ha. We have three backyard hens now (one not laying and all three inherited as adults so I have zero chick experience) and we've decided to expand the flock to 6. We've reserved three Silver Laced Cochin chicks that we'll pick up on the 19th of February. I've found a brooding kit that I think will work well. My plan is to keep them in the house (cozy basement with their corral and light and whatnot), and then move them to the garage when they get bigger with a light set up. Suggestions? It can snow here in May, so what am I looking at in terms of time inside? Also, any suggestions for introducing them to the existing flock? Thanks, all. Happy to be here!

welcome-byc.gif

The time inside will probably depend on your weather/temperature and when the chicks are fully feathered. As for introducing them to the existing flock, there's an excellent article about that in the Learning Center:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

You'll have fun with the new little chicks, they are really cute and entertaining!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to join your state thread and find out how other locals handle brooding chicks. I also suggest you visit the Learning Center which is a great place to start a poultry education.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you are in the right place for anything and everything chicken!

CT

I would spend the time and read the momma heating pad thread. Consider starting them in the garage. I have brooded chicks with a hen in the barn in a snow storm. They were fine and feathered out faster than house chicks.
Come meet everyone on the CO thread.

Back
Top Bottom