Getting chicks into the roost.

Animal Advocate

Hatching
8 Years
May 30, 2011
I just brought home ten 8-week-old hens. They love my chicken coop, and are now enjoying the days in their run, but they don't seem to want to jump up into the second floor of the coop where the roost and nesting boxes are. Instead, they all hunker down on the floor of the coop together and sleep in a huddle. Will they eventually find the roost and nesting boxes, or do I need to do something else? They have a stump they can jump onto, and then it's another hop up into the roosting area.

My little 2 1/2 week olds like to roost, but I have to put them on it. Have you tried setting each one on it? I have one that wants nothing to do with the roost at all.

I am not sure. they might not have had a roost while they were growing.

Mine will be six weeks on Sunday. I have them in a temporary coop right now, while we build there permanent coop.

I am going to put some roosts in to see what they do. I did have a roost available when they were small in the brooder,
some did use it and some did not.

they too are huddling in the corner on the floor right now.

Maybe try adding a lower roost to see if they use that. then slowly raise it. never know might work.

Don't worry my six week old hens pile in a nesting box at night. Hopefully they figure it out soon. This is the first week in the big girl coop. They roost outside with no problem.

Last edited:
If you really are concerned about them continuing to sleep on the floor, you could always build a mini roost about 1ft off the ground. Place them on that every night so they can get the hang of it. Maybe they are too small jump up there, or it is too high that they do not feel comfortable jumping down. I had to rearrange my roosts because my birds would hit the wall when they flew down. Eventually they stopped roosting until the problem was fixed.

Thanks everyone...this is my first time posting, so I didn't know how to find your replies! I will build a roost for the lower level of the coop and let them get the hang of it...I may need to build a little ladder or ramp for them to access the upper level, or at least make it easier, and once they are used to roosting, maybe they will begin to go up the ramp to the roosting/nesting area. Does anyone have any idea at what age they will begin to WANT to nest? Will they start laying eggs helter-skelter until they get the hang of it? My first flock came to me as adults, so this is all new. Thanks again for all your help!

That sounds like a plan.

I believe they start laying around 20-22 weeks of age. At least that's when mine are suppose to start.

I have a dual purpose breed, 25- black sex link and the other 15 are white leghorns.

Mine are about 8 weeks too. They prefer to pile up in a corner of the coop. Their roost is only 15in high (small coop) so it's not an issue of it being too high for them. I think they will eventually learn to like to roost.

Back
Top Bottom