Getting day old chicks today

Ron J

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2023
We've been doing our research but thought some input would also be nice from here. We are getting 1 day old baby Rhode island reds today. We only have a 175w bulb but the chicks will be in our home in a 2'x4' box. Will this be warm enough for such young chicks without any issues? We know to look for huddling under lamp etc but wondered the general thought on not using a 250 w bulb, which seems to be most commonly recommended?

So far they seem happy, active awhile, then sleep awhile. No excessive chirping, seem content.🙂

Attachments

• 20230415_201140.jpg
    20230415_201140.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230415_202201.jpg
    20230415_202201.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 2
I think I could eat them…probably even help process them…but don’t think I could do the actual cull myself. But intellectually, a good life cut a little short is better than what the supermarket chickens got.
We have family who have chickens and want a rooster and we will advertise. And yes, we will eat them if we have a lot. We feel it's a much better life than supermarket chickens and my husband believes in respecting an animals life, including in how you process them for food when needed. We will keep a rooster ourselves also. I have heard different stories and read different things about having more than 1 rooster but have also read that if they grow up as hatchling together you can have better success keeping more than one. However we do know roosters can all depend on each bird.

That is very fair, I had trouble putting down a very sick hen before.
What are your plans for them? I’ve seen flocks with multiple roos and they’ve been fine
I’m hoping they do well together if they are too hard in the hens we may try to start a bachelor flock and if not we’ll find them homes! There’s a really nice lady that took my old rooster she gave me the three chicks and two of them are roosters so I’m guessing she’ll at least take one!

We've been doing our research but thought some input would also be nice from here. We are getting 1 day old baby Rhode island reds today. We only have a 175w bulb but the chicks will be in our home in a 2'x4' box. Will this be warm enough for such young chicks without any issues? We know to look for huddling under lamp etc but wondered the general thought on not using a 250 w bulb, which seems to be most commonly recommended?
Yay! When are you getting them? What are you using as a brooder I’m guessing you have everything ready? Are you planning to name them are you keeping them as pets? How many are you getting? Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom