Getting different breeds to play nice?

98cwitr

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2023
So I have 4 hybrids (size of meat chickens, but egg layers as well) which are about 3 months old and MASSIVE, and 3 golden comets (tiny little things by comparison), who are about 1 month old. I've been keeping the comets in the garage for safe keeping (we've lost too many to predators at this point to take chances with chicks, and we don't have the momma hen). I have begun letting them free range together, but the hybrids are rather aggressive with them. I knew this would be the case, as they need to develop a pecking order with them, but good grief they absolutely dominate them and they're so much bigger I'm afraid of the comets getting hurt. Do I continue to keep them together periodically and monitor, or did I screw the pooch with trying to cohabitate such different breeds (ie: time to segregate and partition the coop and run? Forgive my ignorance...I'm new here. :D

Idea/plan: Going to put the comets in the coop during the mornings and let the bigger hybrids free range for a while. That way they're separated, have different water and food sources, but can see and hear each other. Hope the hybrids don't get too jealous :p

I suspect your problem is a difference in maturity. More mature birds often outrank less mature birds in the pecking order and will often peck the immature brats if they invade their personal space. That doesn't always happen but does pretty often with mine. What I'd expect to happen if yours are free ranging would be that the young pretty quickly learn to avoid bothering the older and both form sub-flocks that get along fine but just stay apart.

When they all mature they should form one flock but until then they will probably stay apart.

Back
Top Bottom