Getting discouraged - I don't think I want chickens anymore

blinkk

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Hey guys, I'm still new-ish to raising chickens. I've had my flock for about 2 years and I love these little hens. They're so friendly and lovely.

In the last two months, we've taken hits from a fox, lost all our baby chicks to possums, and had a nightmare with raccoons. We saw one raccoon in June, so we set a trap. Caught it, and then for the hell of it decided to set another trap. We caught another the second night! We kept setting traps until nothing was caught in them anymore, and we caught a total of three raccoons in the span of a week.

Last night, another raccoon came by, but this time he managed to find a way into the coop (at least the other raccoons didn't get that far!) Three days ago our neighbor said he saw a different racoons in his property with FIVE BABIES! You know what a determined mother is like...

In May, our flock was 10 plus chicks. Now we're down to four. We've lost almost a bird a week and I just can't keep doing this. Some birds disappeared while free ranging, others were taken by a fox in the night, and a raccoons are responsible for a lot of this too.

Like I said, I'm still new to raising chickens but I feel that I'm failing miserably. I'm learning as I go and I've made lots of mistakes so far. It's just not fair to these birds if I keep doing things wrong, and then they pay the price for it. I'm getting really close to giving them away, or just asking my fiancee to cull the rest because I don't want to keep doing this anymore. We're loosing almost a bird a week and I feel horrible. I love hens, but I'm just no good at this.

I know how you feel, I lost 17 in two day attacks to the fox. My coop is built like FortKnox, so at night they were safe, but during the day, it became open season. It was either leave them locked in the coop, or take a chance on losing all of them. The answer for me was electrified poultry net. With over 7000Vs, no ground predator can get to them. I started with 300', it worked so well, over the past 3yrs, I have bought 350' more. The birds can come out everyday, and I don't have to worry about them anymore. If you are in an area like I am, you'll never get all the preds in your area. There's always more that will move in.
900x900px-LL-93473d1c_IMG_1990.jpeg

A good portion of my flock will be moving to a less secure area soon. I have had a few hens commit suicide by dog so far - but the dogs (and a lot of welded wire) have protected that group well so far.

New location has a much higher predator density and I seriously doubt the welded wire will help. Will use electric and crossed fingers. fwiw, I will not be allowing free range - as we also have death from above at the new location. They will live in a mobile fort surrounded by the electric fence.

You obviously have a serious predator problem.

It won't be easy or inexpensive, but you can beat mother nature by building a predator proof enclosure.

Do a search, there is a lot of very good information.

I spent a bit of time and money, but I sleep at night confident my birds are safe.
I built my coop and run with a 200 pound dog in mind.

You obviously have a serious predator problem.

It won't be easy or inexpensive, but you can beat mother nature by building a predator proof enclosure.

Do a search, there is a lot of very good information.

I spent a bit of time and money, but I sleep at night confident my birds are safe.
I built my coop and run with a 200 pound dog in mind.

That bolded sentence is where I want to be. I've been trying, but I feel like I'm constantly fighting and uphill battle. Every week there's another tragedy. What I need to do is take a week off and work on the chicken coop with no interruption. But we're moving by the end of the year, so the next question becomes: should I dump money into fixing a coop that will only be used for a few more months? I'm really thinking about giving these birds away. The place I live is riddled with predators with easy access to our property. I just keep asking, why fight so hard for chickens when all these predators were here first? I've only got four birds left, which isn't a lot.

Although for what it's worth, I love the idea of a chicken coop in a donkey pasture. That's pure genius. When we get relocated and resettled and ready to own chickens again, I may use that very idea. :)

I am so sorry you have had so many predator attacks. I lost one chick to a raccoon this year and very close calls with raptors. I have a totally enclosed coop and run with welded wire and landscape timbers. I can only free range in a small area thanks to an electric net while we stand guard. I hope you have better luck in the future!

Close them up at night and definitely make sure they are behind an electrified fence while on pasture

Back
Top Bottom