getting everyone together and play nice

Henny peeny

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
NC
I have 5 hens that were raised all togehter I had more but the rooster got to ill( ill mannered) and attacked me and the other two were conish X and now the only ones left are the 5 hens they are 4 isa browns and one EE anyhow I have a old rooster and his girl friend and their baby all is full grown here no babies (chicks) I put all in yesterday the rooster in first but he was so WOW CHICKS and wanted to do the funky chicken with all so I thought to calm him some to put his girl friend in and their daughter I thought if he had his chicks with him he would be better.

Well yes this did help some.... I kept a eye on them and no blood but he I thought he was getting the pecking order down now I have no clue how long it should take. he is not hurting them par say (ok I don't know how to spell this very sorry) but today as I put feed in as soon as one of the 5 came near he jumped on them I think it has to do with his chicks and protecting them I have no clue and this is only what "I" think

Now I am hoping this will all work out but I don't want any of the 5 to get hurt and I know if I see blood it is time he and his 2 chicks will be banished to the small pen I hate for this I could kill him but he is a very good rooster and old as dirt so anyone can tell me how long.

I had them all in there before but I had the mean rooster in which didn't bother the rooster in now and I had another rooster the cornish X and I took the rooster in now because he was beating up the conish X and when I put them in first time I did all about them seeing each other and all so I didn't think I had to do this again I thought they would recall anyhow I put feed down and they eat ok as long as the 5 don't get near him and his chicks (chicks I am using for his ladys in case you all didn't follow me)

Can anyone say anything of this or did I just screw it up big time???

Rhayden

Integrating a flock is always so hard to do. I have had a little success having the new flock where the old flock can see and hear them for a about a month before allowing them to mingle. Is there any way you can do that?

yeah I can put them in a snmaller cage and let them look at each other I thought this was all over fromthe first time I reckon maybe to take them out again. so you don't think they will get along huh? if I leave them as is and in time is not going to happen right??

Rhayden

You are confusing me! Leave them together and they will work things out. The more you separate and then put back the longer you prolong the problem. It's just the pecking order.

I am so very sorry if I am cunfusing I am trying hard to make sense

I will leave them together.

Rhayden

I put two groups of chickens together a few weeks ago. I kept a close eye on them the first few days. There WILL be some pecking as they work out their pecking order. But after less than a week, all is well again.

Just keep an eye on them - provide a place where the smaller ones can run to get away from a bully. :)

Back
Top Bottom