getting frustrated with agressive drake

someguyhere

Chirping
Sep 6, 2016
we grabbed a few new ducklings about 2 months ago and our drake still wont stop trying to kill them and they are basically the size of our other females in the group or bigger than the runner duck that he is used to. the new ducks are fine when they are just with the females and one of the new ones might be taking over as the lead lady in the yard and will chase down the older girls and defend herself against them. as soon as I let the drake out he is in a straight line to the new ducks and attacks them pinning them down and pulls their feathers out and looks like he is trying to break their necks almost. its not mating, I can just tell by the way he is with his other females. I have them next to each other in what should be one big house but I still have to keep a fence between them because of him and he will spend all day pacing up and down the fence trying to find a way at them. I figured by now he would had got over it and he is so huge they just dont stand a chance. Ive never introduced birds of any kind am I just being impatient? I know its that time of year for them but I figured living together for a few months now would have changed a little by now. any advice ?

Sorry things are going that way....Your right about the season..:)....In all flocks their is a pecking order and it needs to be established...He is showing his dominance to the younger Ducks...It is natural and does look violent to us but it is what Ducks do..As long as he is not actually injuring the other birds you will have to let it play itself out...Or keep them separated....?

Best of luck...:)

Sorry things are going that way....Your right about the season..
smile.png
....In all flocks their is a pecking order and it needs to be established...He is showing his dominance to the younger Ducks...It is natural and does look violent to us but it is what Ducks do..As long as he is not actually injuring the other birds you will have to let it play itself out...Or keep them separated....?

Best of luck...
smile.png
thanks for the reply maybe Ill let them run around tonight and just see what happens. maybe if I just let it happen and only intervene if it looks really bad he will get over it finally. he is a really good duck and is really the most friendly oddly. he loves to be held by me or my wife and will let other people pet him if he is with us and he really protects his girls and wont let much but the food bringers between him and them. this has me frustrated as can be and obviously he could care less what I think. hahaha. thanks again !

Back
Top Bottom