Getting into quail raising

PiningCitySlicker

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham, AL/Miami, FL
Hi, I'm looking to begin raising quail this summer and I have a fair few questions, being a complete novice with everything concerning poultry.
I have not quite decided on where I plan to put my coop/hutch/cage and any advice in choosing a location would be much appreciated. My current options are to either place the cage/hutch in my (3-walled and well ventilated) shed and use another cage to let them browse and get sun in the shrubland behind my house, build a free-standing raised hutch inside my yard, or build an aviary/pen onto the side of my shed. I'm not looking to raise a huge number (probably 8-14), but the capacity to increase my flock size or raise pheasants and chukar would be very desirable.
Alabama summers are obviously very hot, so should I be concerned about that? Do I need to consider a certain heat-tolerant breed? Rigging a fan (as I've heard other people mention) where I plan to put my quail may be rather difficult, so any other ways to keep the quail cool would be nice. The temp range where I live is about a 90 degree high and 70 degree low on average.
While on the topic of temperature, does anyone know of a good affordable heat lamp? Recommendations on equipment like feeders, founts, and the like is always appreciated.

You probably want to start with Coturnix quail. They are the easiest, tamest, and don't require permits in most states.
The heat is a concern if it gets over 90. If it doesn't get close to 100, they'll be fine with shade and maybe a mister. If it gets over that, you'll want to add ice bottles or other things to help them cool down.
Quail are ground birds, so they will be happiest on the ground with a lot of little places to hide. They may use a coop, but won't use it like chickens do.

For general questions, I would start here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/

I haven't had quail very long and i live in central AB so i can't advise on heat but of the 9ish months I've hade them i've learned they like space, they like to fly, they won't lay eggs if there is more than the recommended amount of roosters, they are very adaptable to temp changes, they don't mind cold (not like that matters to your quail), the roosters will try to kill each other if there are to many unless you separate them from the hens then they seem to get along better, Coturnix quail will not incubate their eggs, coturnix quail is a very broad category it includes tuxedo, Japanese, Italian, Tibetan, British range (aka American range),silver etc each color has its own name. I have mine in a 6W x12L x6H and they enjoy it. if given enough room they will fly, they are escape artists if there is a way out they will find it. Everything eats them magpies, cats, weasels, turkeys, chickens, weasels killed all of my first brood (i had 39 at the time):barnie . they like to be outside they should be put in every night in a weasel proof coop, they don't use nesting boxes, they also enjoy dust bathing, they wont have to be shut in at night if you have something that eats weasels like turkeys by their pen at night so long as the quail cant get out

Back
Top Bottom