Getting Pecked

terimay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
So my girl Chunk was nicknamed after she grew so much faster than the other girls, but now we call her chunk cause she likes to take chunks out of my toes when they are bare. Anyway, the question I have isn't about her pecking my toes, I get that, but the other day I was wearing a long skirt with all different colored flowers on it and all 3 of my girls started pecking at me like I was food. I wear other skirts with flowers on it and that doesn't happen, so my question is, are their certain colors or something that made them think it was food?

I think chickens, by instinct peck at anything with a texture, color or look of anything edible. They are curious and investigate anything that could be food; that's how they survive. Even though we feed them, they still have an instinct to check it out. They have no idea what a skirt is or that it's attached to your body. At least you don't get attacked. My rooster draws blood on me weekly. Be thankful for sweet (hopefully gentle) pecks from hens.

Quote:
yes, their are flowers that are red and purple on that skirt, they never mess with the blue flowers on my other skirt, thanks for the info.

If you're wearing any nail polish on your toenails that even remotely resembles red (ie: purple, pink, etc.) they'll peck at them! My chickens are always after my toes!

gig.gif
That's funny. My girls don't like my pinstripe pants!

Back
Top Bottom