Getting Ready for Baby(ies)!

I frequently say that the best quality I have is that I know I don't know everything. I have little shame when it comes to learning something new. I'll ask all kinds of questions and don't mind questions in return or constructive criticism. That's the best way to learn in addition to the doing. Look at something from multiple angles (multiple people) and take what makes sense. I'm a newb depending on experienced people to have input and point out things I've overlooked. That's what makes forums like this fantastic.

I appreciate the help.

its also a great place for bouncing new ideas around. I raise a few eyebrows when I mention brooding chicks outside with no heat lamp, but that's just exactly what I do. And now lots of other folks are doing it too. :lol:

its also a great place for bouncing new ideas around. I raise a few eyebrows when I mention brooding chicks outside with no heat lamp, but that's just exactly what I do. And now lots of other folks are doing it too.
lol.png

Wanted to ask about this earlier, but had to work today (and will tomorrow). Need to know about the outside chick brooding with no heat lamp. Do tell! Can't leave me hanging like that!

BTW, have the light on in the black plastic thingy and is comfortably warm directly on it. Plan to put litter on top of that, so I do feel it will not get too hot. Leaving it on the rest of the night and will check it tomorrow morning before heading out. Should give me a good idea. Feels barely above body temp. That being said, if it was outdoors and in the sun, I am sure it would get too hot.

Just found one of the threads for putting them out, but I am unclear as to how early they can go? I mean, days? A week? Open air coop is the planHow early would be safe? And not just temperature but predator. We are hoping to really predator proof as much as is possible anyway. But they are so tiny at the days to week old stage!

It's so easy that it should be illegal. The entire thread is right here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

There are step by step instructions, modifications others have made after they've tried it or decided to try it, and videos of my chicks from their first days until they were integrated with the adults. The first few days I had to keep the first ones under Mama Heating Pad in the house because the day we brought them home Ken got sick, had to go to ER and then was admitted to the hospital for a few days. So I set up the heating pad cave in the house until we could get the pen outside rigged. Then out they went. The next batch, brought home a week later, were added to the pen directly from picking them up. The latest group, not quite 2 weeks old yet, also stayed in the house overnight because of shipping stress - they were delayed in getting here so I wanted to make sure everyone was fine before they went out to the pen. But they hatched on Monday, arrived on Thursday, and were living outside on Friday.

Enjoy the videos and photos. This method works..it really works!

Have a question regarding my impending chick arrivals. If the store has chicks from a couple of days old to chicks a couple of weeks old, which would be the better choice and is mixing and matching of ages at that point a bad idea? When I went last week, they had some brand new ones, some 1 week olds and 2 week olds. Does it matter? Hopefully getting them in the morning.

So cute. A couple are trying to dust bathe. For my chick's on their "forest floor" bedding. one of the chicks spotted and ran after a bug. Was so cute. It was one of the smaller / younger chicks. pictures to follow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom