getting ready for winter

sfowler75

Hatching
Apr 16, 2015

This will be the first winter for my chickens, and for me as a chicken farmer.
I have attached a picture of my coop area and would like suggestions on winterizing. I have 6 chickens, we live in Pennsylvania about 25 miles west of Pittsburgh. Coop that is inside a dog run/kennel (no dogs of course) Last year our winter was bitterly cold, freezing rain and snow. I have read a lot and there are so many opinions on heat lamps, the bedding for winter, etc.

Last year was my first winter with chickens and it was a whopper of a winter to say the least. What saved my birds was my roofed and tarped run. I put clear poly tarps on all 4 sides of my run. Most days I kept the front one rolled up so they got fresh air, but if we were getting snow I'd lower it. It was blizzard conditions outside but my girls were happily scratching in their run. Definitely go with clear tarps to let the sun in.

I agree with others in thinking your coop is much too small. It's good that you are looking for ways to keep the run usable during the winter. It's even more critical that they have that space.

I'd look at buying or building a more adequately sized coop as soon as you can. Until then perhaps modify your existing one. Maybe remove the floor of the roosting area and enclose the entire structure. It looks like you'd more than double the available space and be able to provide more/longer roost space. You can also add some much needed ventilation.

After you've given them more coop space I'd suggest providing something in the run that allows them to use more of the space. Think up. Give them roosts in the run to hang out on. Maybe put a bench, table, or other platform in there so your birds can hang out at different levels. They'll be able to spread out more and their quarters won't seem as tight. It really makes a difference when they're snowed in and only have access to the coop and run.

I have a coop that is made for 6 chickens inside of a 10'x10'x6' run. I plan on attaching a cotton duck tarp to the north and west ends where we get most of our wind from. I will also be using bales of straw for extra insulation. Thank you everyone for your opinions.
That coop was advertised as being suitable for 6 hens, but it's really not.

Sorry to sound so harsh and cruel, diplomacy is not my forte, but I'm just speaking the truth.
All prefab coops over 'estimate' their capacity...do some searching here on prefab coops and you'll see lots of stories about how they don't work out so well.

Advanced search>titles only>prefab coops

Every year we hear horror stories of heat lamps gone wrong and entire flocks burned alive.
Personally with that size coop and 6 chickens you do not have room to safely have added heat. You also have enough chickens that they should do fine from their own body heat in that space.

The only thing I would suggest is that you can if desired add tarps on the side that the prevailing wind comes from. Less wind means warmer chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

I am sure there will be others chiming in as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. We were thinking about tarps too. The area is actually 10'x10'x6'. I used a heat lamp when they first went outside in just the coop. They did okay. I just wanted a different option because I would have to run a very long extension cord and I do not like extension cords.I may even add a few bales of straw inside too. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Find some secound hand wood or paletts and build a bigger roofed area and close the side where the the wind/rain normally comes from. Sometimes farmers have old hay / straw bales they can not use for cattle/horse... they make great windbrakers and you can use them next year for compost.
If you have only half the wind and cold rain I have, the run would be gone by mid november and your girls would sit in the mud for months. Most chickens are okay with some cold days but they can't take wet cold that good and catch a cold quite easy.
A hot water bottle or a microwave heating pad can help without risking a fire or a electric stroke when the nights get could.

I would block the winds coming from the north and west, bales, pallets, or some plywood attached to the fence, tarps might flap too much and rip.

Heat lamps are a bad idea, not only because of fire, it also doesn't allow you chickens to acclimate. Giving them heat of any kind isn't good for them, don't feel sorry, they really don't feel cold in the same way as us, Keep the wind and drafts down, warm water a few times a day, access to sunshine, draft free roosts, good food, and I put down hay on top of the snow, and keep them inside during really bad weather.

That coop is nowhere near big enough to over winter 6 hens.

I have to agree. I have 6 hens in a 8' x 9' coop, none to big if they're locked in due to bad weather. They have a somewhat protected 8' x 16' run but I do plan to attach a tarp on the north side as a wind break so they can be out in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom