Getting ready to move

sjthawk

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2016
I have my new chickens and they are almost ready to move out side couple question.1 they are going to have a separate coop do they need to be in a brooder while out there or can they have free rain. 2 when can i let them range. 3 will they automatically come back to the coop at dusk or is this something that needs trained or shown. All help is much appreciated thanks

I have my new chickens and they are almost ready to move out side couple question.1 they are going to have a separate coop do they need to be in a brooder while out there or can they have free rain. 2 when can i let them range. 3 will they automatically come back to the coop at dusk or is this something that needs trained or shown. All help is much appreciated thanks

How old are they?
What is your weather like?
Is your coop predator secure?

Your chicks are old enough to move right into their coop without any brooder or heat. You really should have a secure run for them until they get to a size they're not predator bait.

Your chicks will need to be taught to go into the coop from the run when night comes. It can take as little as two nights to teach them or as long as a week or more.

Once the chicks are comfortable in their new home, say, a week or so, you can open the entrance to the run so they can begin exploring the world beyond. It takes a week or so for chicks to get up the courage to venture out and they won't go far at first. But they'll return on their own without the need to train them. You may find it useful, though, to train them to come when you call them, easily done with treats and a verbal cue.

I wouldn't let them out to free range without supervision, though, until they're pretty much full grown so they have a chance if predators come around.

Thank you very much that is exactly what i was looking for. When should i change there food and get them off the starter grower

No leave them on the starter grower. read the side of the bag, it will tell you exactly when to switch them from one food to another . if they're going to be eating anything other than their chick starter grower feed , you need to give them some poultry grit . go to the store and pick up some Grit. Look up : Grani-I-Grit PDF : on the internet . it's a two-page brochure. the feeding schedule for different sizes of grit is on the second page.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
If you can put up some temporary fencing to make them a small run, that should work. When I'm training chickens to go into their coop, I will often put a light on inside for them. It can help lure them in. Sometimes there is no way around having to go out and scoot them in in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom