getting rid of barring

aprildawn9

Chirping
Feb 1, 2018
Southern Manitoba
Is it possible to get rid of barring in a blood line for good?
How would one go about this?
For example, barring gets added to a colored bird that shouldnt be there. How would one continue with that line not knowing who has barring in their genes.
The end game would be to try to get the barring out so it does not pop up later on.

Barring is dominate so it doesn't hide. If they are barred they have it if they aren't barred they don't.
Barring is also sex linked so females only have one spot for it. Either they have it or they don't. Whether they do or don't is what they pass to their male offspring. They pass nothing to their female offspring.
Like wise they only get or don't get their gene from their father. Get nothing from their mother.
Males have two spots. They can have no gene for it and not be barred. Those would pass no barring gene to all offspring.
They can have one barring gene and one no barring gene. They will be barred as they have one copy for it. They will pass barring to about half their offspring and no barring to about half their offspring. Since they have one gene for it and one gene not for it it is just random which gene their offspring get.
Males could also have two copies for barring. This makes them barred and a lighter barred look since they have two genes taking out color.
They will pass barring to all their offspring.
So if the group you have are all barred and males are double barred you can't get rid of it without breeding to an outside non barred bird.
If you have any males that only have one gene for it then he will produce about half his pullet offspring without barring. And his male offspring will get one copy so they will be barred but carrying a non barred gene so they could then be used to produce non barred offspring.
Whether you can breed it out or if it would take an outside non barred source depends on if your group is all pure for barring or if any have a non barring gene.

Barring is dominate so it doesn't hide.

Ok so if some of the birds do not have barring then their offspring will not have? If a male does not show barring he will not give it to his offspring?

Let's say i get a dozen eggs and some birds have barring and some do not, males and females... what should I do to hopefully get rid of the barring in the genes? Breed only non barred birds?

Yes breed all non barred. Non barred bred to non barred will not produce any barred birds.
Also if pullets is more your goal then cockerels you can breed non barred roosters to barred hens. That makes sex links. All male chicks will be barred an have the barring head spot when born.
Pullet chicks will be non barred and no head spot when born.
If it was me I'd breed non barred roosters to all hens barred or not. All the pullets will be non barred and keepers.
Some of the cockerels will be non barred and keepers. Other males will be barred but you'll know at hatch so they can be culled at hatch.

Awesome! thank you for your help!
Here's my next question... type is always more important than colour intially correct? So if i want to fix the type of the birds I would breed for that first and then worry about colour like you had laid out in your last reply.. correct?

Depends on your goal and how important type is to you.
Way, way back in the day when I got into showing and breeding type was everything and color/pattern wasn't much. It was said to be the least concern because it was the easiest thing to fix.
With the goals at the time I followed along and made type the absolute priority. One thing though when youre breeding to show and only using one color/pattern then color isn't a big concern because all the birds you're breeding is the right color and usually pretty well fixed to be good color.
On the other end I've seen people just wanting a colorful flock breed with color in mind and no concerns about any kind of type at all. Even breeders wanting new colors in breeds sometimes get worrying about getting the color in and to where it would breed true that they totally lose focused on the breed and its type. Or they just want to get the color in and then go back to breeding for type.
Right now I'm having fun concentrating on one breed and mixing and matching colors/patterns to see what different patterns I can come up with when starting with a breed that comes in a handful of patterns.
That means cross a couple patterns the cross those offspring and play the odds (hatch a lot of chicks) of getting a certain pattern or close to a certain pattern then selective breeding a few more generations to get it set and breeding pure.
One pattern can take 3, 4 , 5 years so color is a priority for me. It has to be or it would take even more time and more chicks.
I'm too old and too much into not stressing to take type as serious as I once have but there's still this nagging thought in my head that if you're not breeding towards the SOP and the breed type then what's the use. If I'm breeding a certain breed it just needs to bred true to type.
Now I first keep the colors I need and then cull for type so kinda trying to keep concentrate on both and carry on.
It all depends on what you're breeding for. Imho you just can't lose track of type of you end up with nothing. Sounds like you should work on type now color later but I really don't know what your project or goals are just going off the vibe I get from your posts.

Yes I think I would like to work on type first. The ones I plan on purchasing need some help with type, but colouring has also been muddled. So I will do what you suggest, work on type first but breed the ones without barring and continue to work towards the better type getting closer to SOP hopefully. I would like to show them someday when we get someplace "good". I did my first show in January with my SLW hen and it was alot of fun, and very educational!

Back
Top Bottom