Getting Rid of Mites...

4Chex

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2023
How should one go about getting rid of fowl mites living in the hen house? Any advice on how to safely, naturally and effectively kill all the mites infesting our birds and chicken coop/run? Would love to hear some success stories/methods for exterminating mites.

So this is clearly not natural, but Purely Chickens just dealt with a mite issue and used Elector PSP. She has some good videos explaining why she choses this over other options. It was convincing enough that I bought a bottle myself for when we inevitably deal with mites. She's on Instagram and FB.

I've heard of Elector PSP, and am aware that it's pricey- does the product actually work? How many applications of Elector PSP are necessary to exterminate mites?

I've heard of Elector PSP, and am aware that it's pricey- does the product actually work? How many applications of Elector PSP are necessary to exterminate mites?
So one of Purely Chickens' arguments was that the Elector PSP only needs to be applied once (to the chickens, and the coop/run). Hearing @nuthatched vouch for it as well gives me that much more confidence! You dilute a very small amount in a large amount of water, so the bottle should last forever(ish).

So one of Purely Chickens' arguments was that the Elector PSP only needs to be applied once (to the chickens, and the coop/run). Hearing @nuthatched vouch for it as well gives me that much more confidence! You dilute a very small amount in a large amount of water, so the bottle should last forever(ish).
Yikes, don't take my word on that 😅 I'm still learnings ectoparasites. I personally use permethrine over elector because I'm cheap and mites are not a huge issue with my flock. If you have red fowl mites, those almost always require elector.

Yikes, don't take my word on that 😅 I'm still learnings ectoparasites. I personally use permethrine over elector because I'm cheap and mites are not a huge issue with my flock. If you have red fowl mites, those almost always require elector.
You've helped me out several times since I've joined the site. I have a good impression that you generally know what you're talking about!

I went the Elector PSP route as well, I also looked into all the options, hoping something "natural" would work but didn't find a magic bullet. I liked that they mites aren't likely to become resistant to it and it only takes one application. I sprayed all the chickens, the roosts, and all the nooks and crannies. It did the trick, so I'm happy. It is expensive, but you dilute it a couple mL to a gallon, I have only mixed up 1/2 gal at a time, that was all I needed.

Going to order some Elector PSP- was wondering how to most efficiently treat the coop, advice welcome.

I bought a 1/2 gal pump sprayer like you'd use for weed spraying, dilute the PSP, pump it up, and spray everything.

Back
Top Bottom