Getting rid of mosquitoes inside a few coops

gema

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2024
UAE
Hello, I don't know much about raising chickens and all but I am learning and the coop belongs to my dad but He's in a problem and is not with us for a while,

So the thing is, We have chickens and There's alot of mosquitoes here at night and I have no way of keeping the mosquitoes away and I've tried getting diesel in small cups and just tying the cup into the wall to get rid of mosquitoes and It hasn't worked well after a week and I'm trying to plant some lemongrass around but I'm scared the chickens might just eat the plants,

I really need help with this

Wild Geranium, also known as Cranesbill, deters mosquitos. I don't thing chickens eat them.

If you can get rid of the water they are laying their eggs in you can save yourself a lot of trouble. A French drain might help.

On the other hand, as long as we've had ponds, the females lay their eggs in the pond and the fish eat them.

Our coop and run is next to the woods, so mosquitoes are BAD June-Sept. We have an outdoor fan that's rated to be dust-proof and water resistant, mounted to the ceiling under our covered run. It can blow the entire length on high, including over the coop area. Makes a massive difference. Of course, you'll need to be able to run an outdoor extension cord if there's no power at the coop.

Wild Geranium, also known as Cranesbill, deters mosquitos. I don't thing chickens eat them.

If you can get rid of the water they are laying their eggs in you can save yourself a lot of trouble. A French drain might help.

On the other hand, as long as we've had ponds, the females lay their eggs in the pond and the fish eat them.
I live in UAE and I think it'd be pretty hard to find Geranium and There are no ponds close to me since The farm we own is at a Villa but I'll check the drains

Our coop and run is next to the woods, so mosquitoes are BAD June-Sept. We have an outdoor fan that's rated to be dust-proof and water resistant, mounted to the ceiling under our covered run. It can blow the entire length on high, including over the coop area. Makes a massive difference. Of course, you'll need to be able to run an outdoor extension cord if there's no power at the coop.
So a fan helps? Is that what you mean and I don't really think I'd be able to provide electricity outside to my other coops since It's a few meters away and We have like 4-5 huge coops and The wiring would be really annoying to do without dad around

So a fan helps? Is that what you mean and I don't really think I'd be able to provide electricity outside to my other coops since It's a few meters away and We have like 4-5 huge coops and The wiring would be really annoying to do without dad around
Yes. Mosquitos are weak flyers, so the fan keeps them away. Backup plan, if you don’t have electrical, is to put bug screen on the coop windows.

We border a forest that has a creek running through down a steep hill behind our house and coop. In the spring, it floods down there from snow melt and creates a marsh for a few months. We get so many mosquitoes you'd practically breathe them when you went outside. So we declared war.

We bought 1st Saturday Lime and sprinkled that all over down in the ponds and marshy areas in the spring and if it floods again after that during torrential rain, we do it again. That's safe for fish and frogs, etc. btw.

Look around your property for anything that catches rainwater like old tires is a classic one. Anything that collects rainwater is a breeding ground for mosquitos.

A zapper draws them, so you wouldn't want that by your coop anyway. If you get one, set it a distance away from your home or the coop.

We bought these mosquito dunks and put half of one in a white 5-gallon bucket half full of water. We made four of those which are spaced on bricks too high for the chickens over the 2.5 acres. That will draw mosquitos to lay their eggs in there and they die.

Lemon grass is good for chickens, but if you want to plant it as a deterrent for mosquitoes, just plant some in pots and hang them from shepherd's hooks.

Killing what you can and eliminating sources where they breed reduces their population exponentially.

Back
Top Bottom