Getting some goats! I have a few questions…

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Hi! I am hoping to start a small herd of dairy goats, and i have a few questions.

1. From everything that i have read, i have decided that Nigerian Dwarf goats would best fit my situation. Does anyone have any experience with these? does their milk taste good? How much milk will they give?
2. Would they do well in foresty land?
3. How much space do they need?
4. What typed of vaccinations/medications will they need? And can i do these myself? i would like to keep vet bills and little as possible
5. What should i feed them?
6. Is the birthing process complicated? do Goats often need help?
7. Anything else i should know?

Thank you!

I have a dew Nigie dwarf Wethers years ago, so I can't answer the breeding aspect. But I enjoyed them a good deal. They were colorful and curious, but better behaved than we all expected. I know you can do some vaccines yourself. Just not sure what ones. I don't see why they'd do poorly in forestry land. They'd probably love it.

Our pen they were in was about 20x30 but they also were with sheep amd other goats

I have a dew Nigie dwarf Wethers years ago, so I can't answer the breeding aspect. But I enjoyed them a good deal. They were colorful and curious, but better behaved than we all expected. I know you can do some vaccines yourself. Just not sure what ones. I don't see why they'd do poorly in forestry land. They'd probably love it.

Our pen they were in was about 20x30 but they also were with sheep amd other goats
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help.

1. I don't milk my girls, but I hear ND milk is very good. Be sure to look for proven milkers or their kids.

2. Yes, they can live in the forest! They will clear it for you. I live in a forest, and all the underbrush is gone. Just gotta know what's poisonous to them (wild cherry, mountain holly, bracken Fern, etc).

3. Like chickens, give as as much space as you can give them! It depends on if you are letting them forage or if they will be kept on dry lot. I highly recommend getting some movable fencing and directing them around your property. They'll get a variety of food and keep your hay costs down.

4. There are a few vaccines that you can give. You can do many yourself. Some folks don't vaccinate, but if you plan to breed or add goats from other herds, it's a good idea. CF&T is the main one. If you plan to sell, you might do CL, too.

5. Let them forage, but a good quality hay is important. There are pellets, but the long stem roughage is MUCH better for them. They also need minerals free choice. They will need copper boluses every few months (it's like a big pull you have to get them to swallow or force with a drench). You can give grain, too, but limit it to maybe a handful a day. If you get wethers, I'd forgo it altogether. Too much grain is very bad for goats in general.

6. I don't breed my does, but birthing can be complicated based on the number of kids, the health of the mama, the time of year, etc. Someone will be able to offer you more info on that process. The Goat Spot is a great forum for info. I highly recommend it!

7. Other stuff:
  • Their rumen (stomach) health is important.
  • Fencing is VITAL as goats are escape artists.
  • They're susceptible to predation by larger animals, so know what you're dealing with in that department.
  • They get worms frequently; I'd talk to folks in your area to find out what's prevalent in your area and how they deal with them. Some are resistant to certain wormers. And that's also why the copper bolus is ESSENTIAL.
  • They may need other supplements, like selenium, for example, if your soil is deficient.
  • They can be are picky eaters! But they'll chew on everything if they are bored.
  • They HATE rain, so make sure they have shelter from it.
  • They'll need regular hoof trimming.
  • You will love them so much more than you anticipate! You won't regret getting them!!!!

Vaccinate for enterotoxemia and tetanus when you get them home and then an annual booster. The vaccine is called CD/T. This is important. If you plan to sell breeding stock, depending on your market, you might want to test annually for Johnes, CL, and CAE. Test for those diseases anyway. You don't want to start out with those diseases in your herd. If a goat comes back positive for CL, PM me and I will tell you how to manage it. If any animals are positive for either CAE or Johnes I would suggest you return those animals to the breeder if possible or cull them and cut your losses if you can't. Those two diseases will cause you nothing but heartache.

When my kids were born, I gave them a shot of CD/T within a few days after they were born and another booster every three or four weeks until they were about four months old. I also routinely gave a shot of BeSe to prevent white muscle.

I have been told the milk of Nigerians is very good. I don't doubt it. I can't say from personal experience. I have never owned or bred Nigerians simply because I like big goats.

Back
Top Bottom