Getting started with shipping eggs for eating via online retailers

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, I would like to start selling eggs via online retailers; it looks like eggs (chicken, quail, maybe duck) are selling for $1 each plus shipping, which is ~ 3x what I am getting at the local market. Can you advise please on any of these questions:
1) what is the best crack-proof packaging? if it is foam inserts, where to find the cheapest ones?
2) which is the best shipping service? usps priority mail?
3) do you wash or wipe down the eggs before shipping, and if so, with what type of cleaner?

any other lessons learned would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Don’t wash the eggs prior to shipping. That should be a task for the purchaser.

But probably should look into regulations as to where you can and can’t sell eggs, ship eggs, how to label, permits needed. FDA regulations. Sell by date, refrigeration information, warning, labels..etc. Just to start off.

I ship eggs and bought small bubble wrap. This is a lot but you can find smaller, single rolls or pouches.

I never wash them. If there's feathers stuck or something able to be picked off, that's all I'll do.

I rip off a 12" section, cut it in half, and wrap one egg in it using scotch tape. I set those in a box already cushioned with a couple of layers of bubble wrap, then numerous newspapers scrunched up, and top it with the same being sure to cushion the sides too.

I use Priority Mail (2-3 day, but has been 4.)

It's $17.10 to ship the Medium box (Boxes are free at the P.O. or you can order them free at https://store.usps.com/store/home I can fit a dozen eggs in the medium easy. When someone wants 2 dozen, I have to go to the Large one that's $22.80 to ship.

Hi all, I would like to start selling eggs via online retailers; it looks like eggs (chicken, quail, maybe duck) are selling for $1 each plus shipping, which is ~ 3x what I am getting at the local market. Can you advise please on any of these questions:
1) what is the best crack-proof packaging? if it is foam inserts, where to find the cheapest ones?
2) which is the best shipping service? usps priority mail?
3) do you wash or wipe down the eggs before shipping, and if so, with what type of cleaner?

any other lessons learned would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Are you talking hatching eggs or eggs for eating?

OK. How do you make a profit if shipping is $17? On amazon a dozen eggs sell for $20 including shipping.
I ship eggs and bought small bubble wrap. This is a lot but you can find smaller, single rolls or pouches.

I never wash them. If there's feathers stuck or something able to be picked off, that's all I'll do.

I rip off a 12" section, cut it in half, and wrap one egg in it using scotch tape. I set those in a box already cushioned with a couple of layers of bubble wrap, then numerous newspapers scrunched up, and top it with the same being sure to cushion the sides too.

It's $17.10 to ship the Medium box (Boxes are free at the P.O. or you can order them free at https://store.usps.com/store/home I can fit a dozen eggs in the medium easy. When someone wants 2 dozen, I have to go to the Large one that's $22.80 to ship.

Seems like it's more profitable to just sell the large boxes then..

OK. How do you make a profit if shipping is $17? On amazon a dozen eggs sell for $20 including shipping.
I sell word of mouth right now, but would use eBay as that's where I have bought hatching eggs three different times, successfully. I sell these eggs for $20 per dozen plus shipping. Once I start genetic breeding them in a month or so, they'll be $40 per dozen, plus shipping. The $20 are a mix of fancy and regular silkies. The $40 would be all fancy. I send along 4 extra eggs per dozen to make up for any possible infertile ones.

I am VERY small scale though and just got into doing this due to so many requests.

Back
Top Bottom