getting the correct comb?

jarvis

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
potosi
How hard is it going to be for me to get rid of a rose comb in favor of single combs? Or from pea comb to single comb. How many generations would it take .. crossing the wrong combed bird to correct single combed birds?

It depends on the what genes your birds are carrying.

Rose comb can be RRpp or Rrpp and it would be easier to get rid of in the latter. Single comb is rrpp. Pea comb is rrPp or rrPP.

Cross your RRpp to rrpp you get Rrpp (all rosecombs). Cross Rrpp to rrpp, you get 50% straight combs (theoretically). At which point you could just get rid of the rosecombs, assuming all other characteristics are correct.

It would be the same with Pea Combs.

If you cross one of your rosecombs to a straight comb and get some straightcombs, then you know that rosecomb is Rrpp. However, if you don't get any straight combs, it doesn't necessarily mean that the rosecomb is RRpp, since it is all a matter of chance and expected outcomes are theoretical.

ETA what breed are you working with? I assume it is one that already comes in rose combs and straight combs.

Last edited:
Bantam cochin. Ill post a picture. I actually have 3 .. 2 frizzles and a smooth .. the barred frizzle hens comb looks like a pea comb to me .. the roosters might be. . They kinda remind me of buttercup combs.
Eigther way sop for the cochins is straight combs. So without getting rid of my barred pair... trying to see if i can keep them in the group to keep the barring.

I looked it up real quick and it looks like buttercup genetics are a bit more complex. I will have to read some more and see if I can come up with a suggestion.

ETA it's hard to see right now because I'm on my phone but they do look more like pea or maybe rose combs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom