Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Very cute story about sarge the turkey/dog. Does he have any other "girlfriend" when you are gone?
How much does he weigh? Is he a pet or will he be ........

I am interested in the possibility of raising our own turkey for food but have to learn a lot more
about them first. I loved your photos.

Very cute story about sarge the turkey/dog.  Does he have any other "girlfriend" when you are gone?
How much does he weigh?  Is he a pet or will he be ........

I am interested in the possibility of raising our own turkey for food but have to learn a lot more 
about them first.  I loved your photos. 

Sarge is a pet, but he IS one of a breed generally raised for meat: "Midget White.". He is just a year old and is full sized at about 30 pounds. There is a MW hen, Melissa, which he covers when she feels like it, and he has tried to cover a Broad Breasted Bronze (BBB) hen multiple times, but he keeps falling off. Edith is compliant and will squat for him, but he can't balance on her also broad back in order to make the proper connection.

Gryeyes - I went to pick up some feed today and the store is carrying midget white turkeys. I thought of you and Sarge.
They were so cute (although they were panting heavily due to the 100 degree weather we are having) Gotta go research them.
Hoping Sarge finds his "bliss" or your shoes - just so he's happy.

Back
Top Bottom