Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

While the USA is freezing and Australia is melting, we are dissolving...

More than 7 inches of unseasonal rain in four days with wind gusts to 40 miles per hour. Drainage is holding up and no pooling water on our place. There have been mudslides throughout the Southern and Central Philippines.

We had about 25% of the garage roof go airborne early this morning and another 25% is twisted carnage. The winds are too strong to climb a ladder with 12ft lengths of sharp GI roofing so we will have to ride it out until the winds subside.

Its day 19 for the eggs, Candling and lock down after lunch. We are hoping for a few new chicks.

Bernie is setting 24-26 locally laid mutts every 4 days at the moment. Trying to boost layer numbers. We have a BCM roo in with the girls to atleast get some olive eggers out of the blue layers.

Pigs 4-6 developed scours late Sunday. They were treated quickly with Agrimycin injections and Lincomycin and electrolytes in their water. I have not been using prophylactic antibiotics as I did not have any scours in pigs 1-3. The poops were much less this morning so it looks like they are controlled.

Last edited:
While the USA is freezing and Australia is melting, we are dissolving...

More than 7 inches of unseasonal rain in four days with wind gusts to 40 miles per hour. Drainage is holding up and no pooling water on our place. There have been mudslides throughout the Southern and Central Philippines.

We had about 25% of the garage roof go airborne early this morning and another 25% is twisted carnage. The winds are too strong to climb a ladder with 12ft lengths of sharp GI roofing so we will have to ride it out until the winds subside.

Its day 19 for the eggs, Candling and lock down after lunch. We are hoping for a few new chicks.

Bernie is setting 24-26 locally laid mutts every 4 days at the moment. Trying to boost layer numbers. We have a BCM roo in with the girls to atleast get some olive eggers out of the blue layers.

Pigs 4-6 developed scours late Sunday. They were treated quickly with Agrimycin injections and Lincomycin and electrolytes in their water. I have not been using prophylactic antibiotics as I did not have any scours in pigs 1-3. The poops were much less this morning so it looks like they are controlled.
what is scours????

Sorry about the scours, but glad it is under control!

Thursday through Saturday VA had similar weather to what you are talking about. Our whole yard was under water... and we're on a hill! There were even a number of mudslides in the area - something we rarely have. In our case it probably had to do with temps around 0 followed by a quick warm-up and a ton of rain. This was near us... may look a bit familiar to the Coco Beach residents:
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v...o-collapse.ed-braz-wildlife-photographer.html

Hope the wind dies down at Coco Beach soon so they can get that roof put back together! What a pain!

Last edited:
Scours is diarrhea in Young animals specifically Pigs and Cows.

Though Horses can have them as well, often times its caused when the mare goes into heat after the foal is born. They go into heat one to two weeks after delivering a foal.

Scott said it.... its very dangerous especially because its a young animal still developing defenses against a Bizillion things already.

deb

does it have a common cause? like pups and chickens with cocci?
normally e coli but can be salmonella or the same clostridium bacteria that causes necrotic enteritis in birds.

After sitting on the fence with quail and losing them all by probably not acting fast enough, I decided to his all bases in one go. The Lincomycin is probably over kill but I dont want to lose pigs.

Back
Top Bottom