Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

This will replace my mega bator. It has a large footprint and was really only slapped together for one hatch.

The new one is actually a little smaller in capacity but much better design. The turner is a lever on the outside. I will add a linear actuator to it but the box from the USA with it in it is not here yet.

I want to be able to handle 150 eggs a week.

I am going to mainly sell chicks at day old and 3 weeks.

That way I don't need the real estate to grow them out.

I also need to increase my breeders to 24 RIR 24 Buff Orps and 12 each of barred rocks, white rocks, BBS jerseys and Orps. The rest will be OK with just 8. I have enough breeder pens to cope. The two grow out pens will house replacements and odd balls.

By September I will have Cleared 200 birds off the place.

I figure I will have 200 to 250 hens and 50 roosters by Christmas. All purebreds.

The only changes I can see from this plan is a New Hampshire coop.

The only eggs I am going to ship now are local socal eggs and even those will be very few. I do need SLW and I may bring some new Hampshire to speed up breeding capacity.

Mrs Oz is safely back in Bacolod but has a cold so I am on my own for another day.

I have to get some pictures emailed to buyers so I will be in Kabankalan for lunch. I will post pics here then as well.

We managed to build the shell of the new incubator.

It has five shelves with 96 eggs per shelf with the ability to double stack. That should keep up with demand for a good while.
Maybe too much late night chatting with her class mates and not enough sleep?
hide.gif

That is a big incubator!
Scott

edit my bad spelling

Last edited:
Congrats on your first. May they often!
They better. So far that's a 1000 euro egg. That's about 40 000 €/kg. Luckily, once they get going the kilo price will be reduced dramatically. I calculated that we'll be saving money in about two years. Should have gone with a more hut-like coop construction
tongue.png

How is Mozzarella doing?

ISA sells parent stock for hatching ISA Browns and other similar white, black egg machine breeds. I am sure there are places that would sell parent stock for meaties. I guess you should be prepared to pay more for them than CX chicks though.

I can help you out with ISA links, but I have not looked for CX sites.

You'd probably have to buy hundreds and sign a contract with them. Big business

They better. So far that's a 1000 euro egg. That's about 40 000 €/kg. Luckily, once they get going the kilo price will be reduced dramatically. I calculated that we'll be saving money in about two years. Should have gone with a more hut-like coop construction :p

How is Mozzarella doing?

Mozza is doing well

Another year or so before she is ready to breed though. Carabao mature slowly. It will give me time to find an Indian river water Buffalo to breed her with.

I had $550 deposited into me account today from a chicken buyer. Off to the airport tonight to ship 20 juvenile birds

Back
Top Bottom