Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

@Penny Hen

Only the bold parts of that long one were mine. The rest was a quote. I always try a small bite of a new food before saying I do or don't like it and I have never tried vegemite.

Vegemite is meant to be small bites. It should be smeared on well buttered toast. Those who load it on like peanut butter are in for a shock.

I eat it rarely but love the stuff. It never goes off no matter what the expiration date says.

Vegemite is meant to be small bites. It should be smeared on well buttered toast. Those who load it on like peanut butter are in for a shock.

I eat it rarely but love the stuff. It never goes off no matter what the expiration date says.
I have heard of this stuff but have no idea exactly what it is.

If I can make 150k a year in the Philippines instead of working in hospitals for the man, then I would rather be here.

I think I must be in the wrong business!!!!

Hopefully the demand will remain high
fl.gif

We needed more roofing. I called the hardware store yesterday and asked if they could pull it and have 50 sheets ready for 8am. No worries. The plan was to be at the hardware store by 830 after leaving here at 6am.

It was bucketing down all the way after getting out of here at 640. Half way to town we got a flat tire. We got home at 4 insteadof 12

Last edited:
We needed more roofing. I called the hardware store yesterday and asked if they could pull it and have 50 sheets ready for 8am. No worries. The plan was to be at the hardware store by 830 after leaving here at 6am.

It was bucketing down all the way after getting out of here at 640. Half way to town we got a flat tire. We got home at 4 insteadof 12
Better luck tomorrow
fl.gif

Scott

[@ phage /@]

I think I have just hit the tip of the iceberg. Two adverts on the internet gave me 20 inquiries many which I had to turn down. I have an order for 1000 chicks in September if I can do it but he will take 250 at a time. I have had others for 500 each.

I may end up going to a few agricultural expos. Every province has one a year. I am contemplating getting one of our nannies to be my sales rep. She grew up in the markets and is very savvy. I also have a driver looking for a job.

By September I will have a pretty good idea how the market really is. The key now is to build breeding inventory and inexpensive chicken coops and be ready if it really flies. If not then the sales of 10 to 20 juveniles a week will definitely continue for a year. By then I will be competing with my own birds.

The Greenfire Farms model is one strategy and right now but RIR are the bird of the month. I have a lot of breeds to market as the next new thing

I am buying boar semen at 17 to 27 dollars a dose. The guy I buy from has sold 10 million or more doses over 12 years and is the only supplier with a website. There may be others but they are not in the phone book or on the web.

The new generation is connected to the web. If I can even capture 10 percent market share then I will be doing well.

Other potential income is from cold pressed organiv extra virgin coconut oil. We produce about three tons of copra and could get about 250 gallons out of a home pressing system per year. Currently I get about $2000 from the copra and could triple it if I cold press on the farm and sell at city "farmers markets" and agrifests. The by product cocobutter and coconut cream will add to that.

Then there is the cottage organic jams and preserves.

As the Filipino affluent increase their desire to make better food choices they are willing to spend to do it.

All these 4 to 10 thousand dollar a year enterprises on their own are not worth it but when they are down time projects for a crew of employees hatching a few thousand chicks per month then they have great value.

I am late to the market for goat cheeses but I never expected to sell commercial quantities. We are on a highway between the provincial capital and the best beach resorts in the province. The local squillionaires all have mansions on the bluff. The next level down stay in the hotels for the weekend but either way hundreds of money filled spenders drive past each weekend. Culturally, its normal to stop and pick up snacks and small gifts for those at home along the way.

CocoBeach is a great stop as we have perfect highway frontage for a "Pasulubong" store to sell brown eggs, cheeses, jams, fruit tarts and look at the monster chickens in the display coop out the front.

Back
Top Bottom