Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Indeed.

We are in a very different position than we were just a month ago.

Its 00:40 and I am sitting in the piggery with a coffee. Pig 1 looks very comfortable. No signs of labor yet. It's been many many years since I have seen a pig farrow but I am confident it won't be tonight. I will check again at 03:00 just to be sure.

What's sleep anyway right?

Morning will bring the start of construction on the second brooder. An 86"x38" inch 5 level non lighted/heated unit for the second stage brooding.

Busy times, it seems. By the way Oz, have you though about a cell signal repeater? There are directional antennas that you could aim at the tower for a better signal.

I have two. One in the 3G signal bandwidth and one in the 2G. The nearest tower (3km) is 2G. I get more bars with the repeater but no more internet.

Three villages from here, about 16km is the closest I can get a solid internet signal.

I can use the phone and things like what's app. My wife even has the patience to post with Facebook. Complex sites that require using a browser are the problem. They time out before the page can load.

Right now I am getting 7kb/sec.

Our kids will be close enough in age to be cousins hanging out together.

We can watch them from the porch complaining about sore joints.
i'll bring the required adult beverages
highfive.gif

& if I ask her nicely my wife might make some of her now famous chicken adobo

we have our 1st F2 buff Orpington chicks in the brooder

looks to be one of each sex if my feather sexing skills are correct

piglett

Oz, is it a passive repeater or an active model?

They are Wilson electronics brand. I don't know if they are active or passive.

Even parked 100m from the 2G tower I get the same sporadic signal. I think it's their transmission issue.

We normally have our best internet at the lowest bandwidth times - midnight until 9-10am

Passive works without electricity, the shape basically boosts the signal. Active either takes batteries or is plugged in. Sounds like the cell tower is not built for the amount of customers it's serving. A friend of mine told me that his uncle used to make his phone a wifi hotspot and hoist it up in the flagpole at his cottage to get a signal. But that probably wouldn't help you since the problem seems to be lack of capacity.

Quote:
I have been looking at Wilsons the kind that you use in the car.... My home is in a dead zone... you can get a signal in like four foot square patches.... but you have to move around because the patch moves....

And my pay as you go little phone is quite capable of attaining enough signal to do a hand shake find out how much time I have left and let me know.... then the one bar disappears....
somad.gif
Same for here at the house.... So I was hoping by using a Wilson in my truck I could have cell reception here and at the house....

Dont need internet or wifi jsut the abiliy to make a decent phone call.

deb

Back
Top Bottom