Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Its Jan 3. Almost half way through the incubation.

Today is very windy. We are in the midst of the North East Monsoon period. Its the coldest time of the year here. We have 20 mile an hour winds blowing straight off the ocean. The temp at 11am is just 78 but the humidity is in the 90s. When the wind stops and the sun comes out, the temp will quickly climb to 86. By the looks of it, this will be atleast a day away.

The humidity is concerning. I cannot regulate it. In the incubators the humidity reads 54%.

I can see movement in most eggs. I will cull out the clear ones tonight.

Life is very different here. Trying to live a western lifestyle is expensive but living like a local is very cheap. We live a combination. I will try and describe a little here. Its very easy to romanticizel
Iiving on the beach in a tnird world country with nannies, maids and gardeners, but its not all a breeze. With staff comes responsibility.

Our gardener and maid are married with a son. They have their own basic house on our lot. We provide them with Social Security, Philhealth, most of their food and a combined salary od 120 dollars a month. In addition we profit share our copra - the meat from coconuts sold to a mill for oil. We have 290 fruit bearing trees that Bernie climbs and harvests on our time. On his days off he dries the meat from the nuts and bags it for shipping. A kilo will earn 40 cents to a dollar, depending on a very labile market. We will take a ton to the mill next week. The price is rock bottom at the moment so we will collect abour 400 dollars. Bernies will earn about 150 dollars from his share. He will probably invest it in a yearling Caribau - a water buffalo that can be rented out to sugar cane and rice farmers for ploughing and hauling cane from the fields to trucks for shipping. Although we want Analou and Bernie to feel that they can grow old with us, wewould like them to have an income when they grow older and encourage them to plan for the future - sadly something that is not done here. the Philippines is cursed by consumerism. People would rather have the latest phone than a house or even more nutritious food for their children.

The main staple here is of course rice. A kilo of rice is 30 pesos or roughly 30 cents a pound. A family of four can eat 50kilos in a month. Chicken in the market is 1.30 a pound. Pork is 1.80. Fish is about 50 cents up to a few dollars for high end. The local diet is mostly vegetable soup with rice and a little fish. Fifty dollars can easily keep a local family of four well nourished for a month. We crave western foods as well so wealso buy beef at 2.90 a pound, flour to make bread,canned tomatoes for spaghetti and other ingredients that stop us feeling deprived. I bring loads of non perishable goceries over from the usa when I come as it works out easier and cheaper than going to the big supermarkets in Manila, a plane flight away.

Sadly, rum is a buck a 750ml bottle and cigarettes are 60cents a pack so men die young or slowly decayfrom self abuse. Teenage pregnancy is rife. A bill just passed through govt. that mandates availability of contaception. Hopefully this will help as being a single mother makes it almost impossible to succeed in anything but the sex trade. Our area is very poor. Its hard to help as an individual as you end up with lines of people at your door. We are members of the local Lions club and funnel our philanthropy through the club.

The chickens and their eggs should provide our staff with lots of protein to supplement their diets as well as additional income from egg and breeder trio sales. I would like to make enough to cover feed and make the business self sustaining. An egg sells for 12 cents in the market. In the classifieds a breeding trio of RHode Island reds sells for 120 dollars.
Ozex your awesome!! More turkeys and ducks next???? I cant believe I missed the post showing us the thread!!! AWESOME!!
It really is quite an amazing story and you certainly can write quite well. I can feel and see everything!!

18lbs RAT POISON   Holy CRud buckets and meal worms!!!  :eek:
18lbs RAT POISON   Holy CRud buckets and meal worms!!!  :eek:

Rats love coconuts. There was no rat abatement for 30 years when we bought the place. They live in the coconut palms and eat and drink from the nuts. We placed a foot wide strip of gi metal sheet around the trees about 20 feet in the air. That stopped them climbing the trees but then we were invaded!!! It was like a horror movie. Since then we murdered a million if the little blighters. Now I just use feeding stations with rat poison. 18 lbs. will be enough for 2.5 acres for 6 months. Mostly now its the neighbors rodents looking to expand.

Ahh the joys of the tropics.

MAY I SUGGEST a VERY LARGE copy of the bucket mouse trap?  Lets call it the Garbage can Rat trap!! 

I will have to google it.

I have arranged to bring over about 60 guinea fowl eggs during the usa summer. They do very well with rodents as well as bugs. They are reallygood eating too!!! (The guinea fowl, not the rodents)

Quote: Everyone that I know hatched guinie didnt have them long, they take off... yup they know how to free range!! he he he!!

Here is a google... we have used this in the sheds and garage for YEARS!! Harmless to everyone else, safer than poison, less stink too...... unless your a mouse or mole....
but you will need a bigger one! see the wonder up and try to get on the can and it rolls and they fall in the water and drown quickly. Some people make these traps for feeders if they have snakes and stuff....
images

Last edited:
Ok. I am in an area with reliable internet.

Here is the road to OffGridMAMA's place were I dropped off some chicks and picked up 2.5 dozen very pretty eggs.

Here is Roger the mechanic in Escondido CA replacing my drive shaft bearing. Thanks to transmission pros for dropping all they were doing to get me to the Philippines in time for Christmas with my kids.

Once my baggage arrived I opened the bators and set the eggs 70 miles from their destination. After 24 hours i used an inverter in the car to suppy 110v to the bators for the 2.5 hrs drive. Yep 2.5 hours.

Here is a satellite image of our place. Its the blue roofed house. Our place extends from the beach to the road. google took the picture a few years back just before the wet season during a very dry summer so it looks rather dry. Most of the year its lush tropical green.

Here is the bator's view

The new coop will be to the right on this pic

Last edited:
set the eggs 70 miles from their destination. After 24 hours i used an inverter in the car to suppy 110v to the bators for the 2.5 hrs drive. Yep 2.5 hours.
That is SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!

HOW Beautiful is THAT!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! I was imagining this quite correctly except its ALOT nicer than I pictured!!! Oh I wish I could be one of those chickens!!

And you might think this strange, but my most FAVORITE thing to do EVER is watch the water and fish!!! DO you fish????? I would be out on that beach fishing and chillin OMG!!! and I would def need a boat!!

AGAIN!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Are you from there? I would love to read your life story let me tell ya!! I am sure its not all good, nothing ever is, but wonderful for you and family!! your kiddos will LOVE to help hatch and raise the chickens!!

It's really beautiful...but so close to the beach!  How often do you get storm damage?

Hi Cara

The Philippines is fraught with natural disasters but by pure fluke, we are in a great location. The biggest problem would be tropical cyclones (hurricanes) but we are behind a mountain range of the usual path. We are also a long way south so they generally start near Guam and curl up to smack the islands of Samar and Luzon on the eastern coasts.

Each year we experience two monsoon seasons. The current one has a smaller effect on the Philippines as a whole but as we are North to the water, it batters us pretty good. Most days we have strong breezes bringing salt in the air into the house. EVERYTHING RUSTS and I mean everything. We bought over a 47inch TV from the states 4 years ago. Its in a specially built cabinet with doors that are only open when its being used. The on/off button stopped working 2 yeaars ago but can be turned on and off with remote. The sound went out 3 months ago so we play the satellite and movie streamer through a cheap chinese amplifier. Computers last a year before the RAM rusts up. Its insane. We used to buy high end stuff, but now cheap chinese appliances are the go. They donthe job and last just as long.

The other danger is earthquakes. We just have not had our turn yet.

Other issues here are power. It can be unreliable but forunately we just get brown outs as they are called for an hour or so. We have not had one here since I set the eggs. In Bacolod, the city I fly into, they get weekly power outages that can last 12 hours.

We dont see snakes. Mosquitos are nasty but the breeze and ensuring their is no still water lying around helps a lot. I have only had 4 bites in 12 days. Dengue fever is alwaysna worry but Malaria is not in our area. Gecko lizzards keep all crawly bugs out of the house including spiders.

Back
Top Bottom