Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

beatiful Anaheim

the happiest place on earth... for some
yuckyuck.gif

Sounds fabulous Oz.. you may just have to convert the place into a petting zoo/ecotourism resort, preying on Western tourists
lol.png

Oh, and do you know rooster feathers (chicken, peafowl, partridge etc.) are fetching pretty crazy prices with ladies wearing them in their hair/earrings. Side income, my friend.

We discussed in her last IEP meeting the possibility of hiring a math tutor for her, but it would mean canceling her riding lessons, as we cannot afford both. And the school even agreed with me that the riding lessons are way more important for her. She needs math, yes. But horseback riding gives her a sense of accomplishment and that is so much more important. Right now anyways.

Best decision we've made for her. Hands down.
You are a WONDERFUL mamma!!

People tell me why I let him go for such a degree.... Where will he use it.... Hes wasting his time... and money. In which case I tell them what they can do with their opinions. Because ultimately its his life decision not mine. He is blossoming right before my eyes and I am stunned that I actually had a part in raising such an individual. What he does with it, is his life path I am happy as long as He is happy.

deb
Deb - likewise for you. You are a great mamma and a good person. You need to start capitalizing your name, girl!

DD has dyscalculia (math dyslexia) and is also probably mildly dyslexic. She has visuo-motor integration difficulties and spatial awareness issues. Along with the receptive language weaknesses and ADD (no H).
I have severe dyscalculia. Can't do numbers in my head, can't help my 5th grader with her math (which is extremely embarrassing!!) and I can't spell at all. I mean - so much so that I usually type out and print notes to the teachers and such because I'm so embarrassed about it. It takes me a full minute to figure out what time it is on a clock with hands and I have to stop and thing about right vs. left. LOL! I was told by teachers that I wouldn't amount to anything if I couldn't spell or do math.

Hello - I'm a published writer. I write for a popular farm magazine every week and I used to write for a huge lobby group in D.C.

Oh - and horses are an addiction of mine. They made a world of difference in my life! I even competed up to the National level in college.

And Oz - great to hear an update from Coco-Land! Glad the quail are faring better this time.

You are a WONDERFUL mamma!!

Deb - likewise for you. You are a great mamma and a good person. You need to start capitalizing your name, girl!

I have severe dyscalculia. Can't do numbers in my head, can't help my 5th grader with her math (which is extremely embarrassing!!) and I can't spell at all. I mean - so much so that I usually type out and print notes to the teachers and such because I'm so embarrassed about it. It takes me a full minute to figure out what time it is on a clock with hands and I have to stop and thing about right vs. left. LOL! I was told by teachers that I wouldn't amount to anything if I couldn't spell or do math.

Hello - I'm a published writer. I write for a popular farm magazine every week and I used to write for a huge lobby group in D.C.

Oh - and horses are an addiction of mine. They made a world of difference in my life! I even competed up to the National level in college.

And Oz - great to hear an update from Coco-Land! Glad the quail are faring better this time.

Its so nice to hear success stories. <3 My husband is severely dyslexic and cannot spell at all. I think his spelling issues stem from auditory processing issues, but its hard to say for sure. He grew up thinking he was "dumb". Dropped out of school in 9th grade, got in trouble, the whole classic story. Turned his life around in his 20's and then in his 30's we met and married. Ironic, because he HATED teachers growing up and who did he marry? A school teacher, lol!

He is very embarrassed by his difficulties. But eventually, I talked him into getting officially diagnosed and then seeking his GED. He ended up completing the NEDP program and earned an actual high school diploma. It was hard for him, accepting and acknowledging his weaknesses and then accepting help from tutors. But he did it! And slowly, he is learning to share more about his struggles and to not let his "labels" define him.

Hearing success stories like yours, and my husband's and Deb's son...gives me hope for my sweet girl. It can be hard to think of her future when we're in the thick of the woods right now. The tunnel seems endless and there's so little progress, but we keep digging and plugging away. We celebrate the successes and we work through the brick walls...sometimes with tears and frustration (on the part of both of us), but we work through it.

I hope that horseback riding continues to be a source of joy for her, lol! There's just something special about horses, kwim? They just "know". Someday, we will have a horse for her...I will move heaven and earth to make it happen, lol.

Sweatpea, have you considered pulling the horses into some of the concepts you're trying to teach? I taught therapeutic horseback riding for several years back in Raleigh, and we would always work with the parents to incorporate whatever the kids were learning into the lessons. Counting hay bales, measuring stalls, learning left and right - I'm sure it's something you've thought of, but it seemed worth tossing out there.

I was friends for a brief time of a woman who was sooo dyslexic she came to the stables in a taxi. Or her boy friend drove her. Through riding instruction and eventually horse owner ship she learned techniques to be able to take her drivers test and pass.

Horses brains functions differently than ours for one thing.... What ever you teach while moving to the right.... has to be taught again moving to the left. The hemispheres dont communicate freely. So what better tool to teach a young person ....

soo many horse people...
smile.png

deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom