getting the temperature right

Kelinshobbyfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
I made a home made incubator and I'm having a hard time getting the temperature to 101-102 % I've tried 4 light bulbs so far from 25w to 12w and a few in between. Any tips for getting my temp right? My eggs are waiting to be set!

I made a home made incubator and I'm having a hard time getting the temperature to 101-102 % I've tried 4 light bulbs so far from 25w to 12w and a few in between. Any tips for getting my temp right? My eggs are waiting to be set! 

Can you describe how you made the incubator; possibly copy and paste the instructions onto your post?

it's a very simple design. Styrofoam cooler with a lamp cord. I have it ventilated and a window on the top.

[/quot My students used a similar design for a science fair project. The eggs hatched. I believe I can help you get this working. Is the problem, not getting warm enough, or, too warm? And tell me what materials you have as far as the youtube video is concerned. I need to go back and watch the whole video. Did you follow the directions exactly?

my materials are very similar to the ones on the video. I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer I have also placed a couple sterilized rocks to stabilize temperature. My box might be a little bit smaller than the one shown. With the 12w light bulb I'm at about 97 degrees all the other bulbs I tried were too hot. I tried covering some of the ventilation holes to see if that would bring the temp up a bit.

my materials are very similar to the ones on the video. I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer I have also placed a couple sterilized rocks to stabilize temperature. My box might be a little bit smaller than the one shown. With the 12w light bulb I'm at about 97 degrees all the other bulbs I tried were too hot. I tried covering some of the ventilation holes to see if that would bring the temp up a bit. 

To start you need to have a room that stays at a fairly constant temperature; the incubator should be in a place well away from any device that gives of heat or cools. Closets, basement work well. Any room where the temperature fluctuates is not a good room for an incubator. We used a round bait bucket. The heat source was a 20 watt light bulb (situated as close to the top center as possible). The students used a pencil to poke holes in the TOP of the bucket and then covered each hole with duct tape (do not use masking tape in that it does not remain in place). If the temperature was a bit high they uncovered one hole and waited an hour or so and checked again This procedure was repeated until they had a reading that stayed between 100 and 102 degrees F. It took a couple of days to get the incubator to stay at the right temperature. For humidity they used a baby food jar and kept it filled with water. When water was added I told them to use warm or hot water; cold water makes the temperature drop for too long. On the 18th day the sprayed the eggs, made sure the jar was full, and left their incubator closed. Of the six eggs they started with four or five hatched.

Back
Top Bottom