getting to a delaware

I dont quite get your statement.. F1 roosters is as good candidate to create Delaware patterned birds as a F2 silver barred rooster..

here is why..

the F1 will be E/eWh(E coming from BR parent, not good on this project) B/b+(Barring gene from BR Parent, need it on this project) S/s+(golden, S from Barred Rock parent, need it on this project)..

when crossed to NH hens you will get 50 percent eWh/eWh birds(from NH parent, need it on this project) 50 percent silver wheaten columbian hens(this hens are Delaware patterned at this stage) 50 percent Red barred columbian roosters(not need it on this project and need to be culled) and 50 percent golden(S/s+) Barred Columbian patterned roosters(just like delawares but with a golden tone instead of silver, this birds are keepers) at this stage you can do sibling crossing because we have stablished Homozygosity for eWh/eWh B/-(on hens) and Co/Co...

any other genetic question just let me know

You get F2 that are silver columbian barred heres Kathys yellow biddies (wheaten) out of the F1xF1 cross she got quite a few Del atterned males and a very few silver columbiam females

31282_8-29-11f2chicks010.jpg

Last edited:
You get F2 that are silver columbian barred heres Kathys yellow biddies out of the F1xF1 cross she got quite a few Del atterned males and a very few silver columbiam females
All I see is wheaten chicks that pics(Barring cant be seen on Wheaten chicks) guess whats the percentage of wheaten chicks out of the F1xF1? 25 percent of them, yeah that low, but we are only starting with the numbers(something you have failed to provide or back your statements with)...

say you hatch 100 chicks(lots and lots of chicks to hatch)

25 will be wheaten
25 percent of those 25 (12.5) will silver wheaten hens
50 percent of those 12.5 silver wheaten hens will be barred(6.25)
25 percent of those 6.5 wilver wheaten hens will be homozygous for the Columbian gene(Co/Co need it for a clean Delaware Pattern)

as you can see Lots of F1xF1 are need it to be hatched.. a simple F1 crossed to NH will save lots of time

Weren't Delawares the result of sports in the breeding of Barred Plymouth Rock roosters and New Hampshire hens?

All I see is wheaten chicks that pics(Barring cant be seen on Wheaten chicks) guess whats the percentage of wheaten chicks out of the F1xF1? 25 percent of them, yeah that low, but we are only starting with the numbers(something you have failed to provide or back your statements with)...

say you hatch 100 chicks(lots and lots of chicks to hatch)

25 will be wheaten
25 percent of those 25 (12.5) will silver wheaten hens
50 percent of those 12.5 silver wheaten hens will be barred(6.25)
25 percent of those 6.5 wilver wheaten hens will be homozygous for the Columbian gene(Co/Co need it for a clean Delaware Pattern)

as you can see Lots of F1xF1 are need it to be hatched.. a simple F1 crossed to NH will save lots of time

I don't have all the numbers(I could go search for them and post them but I'm not) but I have the results and that is what I'm going by I have every bit of info from her Kathys project from the making of the F1s to present F3s. Marvin I'm not trying to start and argument I'm stating facts that I have seen with my own two eyes. She bred Delaware patterned F2 males to the Silver columbian F2 females to get the F3s she has now.

when I start up my crosses I will have my own numbers

I was going to use F2 over the NH females just because the silver columbian F2s are rare to get and usually culls for having green/willow shanks

Jeff

Last edited:
I am not real familar with alot of the terms that have been talked about in the last couple post. I would just like to try this project the easyiest and quickest way so if some one can explain it fully that would be great. Right now I have a barred roo and newhampshire hens. Thanks Cory

I am not real familar with alot of the terms that have been talked about in the last couple post. I would just like to try this project the easyiest and quickest way so if some one can explain it fully that would be great. Right now I have a barred roo and newhampshire hens. Thanks Cory

is the Barred Roo a pure Barred Rock? or is he the F1 you were talking about earlier?

say you have the F1 rooster, mate him with your NH hens...

out of this cross keep the yellow chicks(50 percent of the total) only(cull the black chicks).. to play it safe always hatch as many eggs as possible I would say 50+ hatching eggs will give you many Silver Wheaten Barred Columbian hens and Golden wheaten barred columbian roosters..

at this stage you can to do sibling crossing(golden Columbian barred roosters mated to silver wheaten barred columbian sister)

just follow Tims advise, I doubt anybody would dare challenge him to a genetic debate(I myself have done it sometimes only to be humbled and learn from it)

Quote: you should not get as many birds with so much red because you will be using NH as oposed to the RIR(RIR have lots of red enhancers in them Mh/Mh Mahogany is just one of them) Tim Adkerson was using

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom