Getting worse! Please help!

Glad they liked it. Are those bubbles? You're going to want to avoid putting anything in their bath water because they will drink it.

Glad they liked it. Are those bubbles? You're going to want to avoid putting anything in their bath water because they will drink it.

I read on here on an older post that I could put a tad of flea shampoo in the water. I put about a pea size. Those were risidual from them splashing around.

I've never heard of using flea shampoo for ducks but I'm still learning too. I have read about some chicken owners using it, but chickens don't drink their bath water. I personally wouldn't use it, but I generally try my best to avoid chemicals in general. Sometime they're unavoidable though. At the least I would wait and see it is causes them any tummy problems before using it again. Though I don't think they will even need it again if you continue with bath time every day.

So you bathe daily?!

I've never heard of using flea shampoo for ducks but I'm still learning too. I have read about some chicken owners using it, but chickens don't drink their bath water. I personally wouldn't use it, but I generally try my best to avoid chemicals in general. Sometime they're unavoidable though. At the least I would wait and see it is causes them any tummy problems before using it again. Though I don't think they will even need it again if you continue with bath time every day.

When mine were little I started them in the sink at three days old. It was just a few minutes as they got tired pretty fast at that age. After a few days we went to two baths a day. After a while they outgrew the sink and we moved up to a plastic container, then eventually a full bath tub. By the time they were about four weeks they were in the bath till the water got cold. I'd say it was maybe 40 minutes, I think. But that was just once a day.

I agree, no soap or flea shampoo in the water. That will only harm the little ones. Even just regular soap or shampoo will wash away the very important waterproofing oil on ducks' feathers (this is when they get a little older and have real feathers instead of baby fluff). Just plain lukewarm water is best for bath time.

I also let my ducklings have swim/bath time every day from 3 days old onward. As they get older they get deeper water and get to stay in longer. At first you do need to be careful and only have them in for a few minutes, gently towel dry, and set them back into their warm brooder to finish drying themselves off.

Thanks for the advice. No more soaps for the babies. We are having some outside play time right now. Filled up their pin with water after I cleaned it. They are having a blast. Great swimmers too I must add. I also put some herb and meal worm treats in the water for extra fun.

My mallard baby, Miss. B, is still a bit scared of contact. The rest are getting better but will Miss B come around? We have hand to hand contAct multiple times a day. Not sure what else we can do to help???

Thanks for the advice. No more soaps for the babies. We are having some outside play time right now. Filled up their pin with water after I cleaned it. They are having a blast. Great swimmers too I must add. I also put some herb and meal worm treats in the water for extra fun.

My mallard baby, Miss. B, is still a bit scared of contact. The rest are getting better but will Miss B come around? We have hand to hand contAct multiple times a day. Not sure what else we can do to help???

They are adorable.

Back
Top Bottom