Gfunk1127's 4x8 coop thread

Even though it was cold and wet, I got a lot done today. I cut out the clean out door in the back and the door for the closet. I framed the windows, but those get cut out later.

full wall and cutout side.jpg

I used the other side cut of the plywood for the other side. Trying to minimize as much waste as possible.

chicken door window side.jpg

I'm going to have to stop here as I work tomorrow and will be out of town this weekend. It will be about mid next week before I can get to it again.

This is the latest update. I hoped to paint the thing today, but with me messing up my maths I had to do things slower.
I actually framed in the wall to divide coop from the storage. I'll add a picture of that later.
Both the storage and clean out doors were made and fitted. (Time to go to Lowes for the hinges!)

Also, I hardware clothed the eves for the ventilation.

Coop storage feb11.jpg

This is how far I got with the laying boxes today. I have to get more plywood to finish the front, and the dividers.

Tarp was put up because we are expecting rain the next 3-4 days. SO now I have to impatiently wait.

Side of coop feb11.jpg

I have the roofing panels waiting in the garage with the gutter just as soon as the paint is allowed to dry.

Following with great interest! Seems to me going 4'x8' is a smart choice. I'd like to have one that holds minimum 20 hens and I'm looking for designs based on 4x8... maybe it'll need to be 8x8..not sure. Thanks for your ongoing updates.

Welcome to BYC. Feel free to start a build thread of your own to get advice targeted to your own situation and location (climate matters).

But for starters here's some basic info:

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
20 hens
  • 80 square feet in the coop. 8'x10' is the most practical because 7'x12' or 6'x14' require a lot of weird cuts.
  • 20 feet of roost
  • 200 square feet in the run. 10'x20', 12'x16' or 8'x25' as suits the land available.
  • 20 square feet of ventilation.
  • 5 nest boxes.

I will give this update. Painted it yesterday. Iron Ore. I am going to run some light colored wood accents. Just to make the thing look good. I saw something on youtube and am doing a similar design because the wife liked the way it looked and so did I.
My farm logo is going on the storage door of this egg production facility.

Next up is the poly roofing. This is getting exciting!
ironore storage view.jpg
ironore chickendoor view.jpg

How high is the bottom of the coop from the ground. Question might already have been asked, however didn't see it if it was. Thanks

How high is the bottom of the coop from the ground. Question might already have been asked, however didn't see it if it was. Thanks
Initially the support legs were 22 inches. But I neglected to take into account the fact I’d have to dig to make the base even. I will get an accurate answer for you tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom