Ghost shrimp :) but I need help

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
So today, I went to the pet store with a friend(she needed bird seeds and some dog food). And out of randomness(since her mom was going to pick us up in an hour), we walked through the store. Shame on me, I "rescued" 9 feeder goldies. I think a few are sick, so they are all in quarantine before heading out to the growing tank, and soon to the pond XD.
Along with that, I bought 4 ghost shrimp to add to my tropical tank( they will live along side my neons and guppies)
SO right now they pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and temp is fine.
However the shrimp are really quiet.
At the pet store, they were darting about for some time, then chilled on the plants.
Well now at home(after i acclimated them), they were darting about the tank for an hour
now they are just stiing there, in the same spot slightly moving their arms and moving the thingies by their mouths.
They look fine, but they're not very active, and i heard they should be active.
They eat the sinking food fine.
Is this normal behavior?
Thanks
big_smile.png

Were any of the ghost shrimp at the store carrying eggs? They are a bright green so usually easy to spot. If not you may have saltwater ghost shrimp. Most stores never know the difference and since they get them in for feeders they don't care how long their lifespan is. If they get in a bunch of them there will always be egg carrying females in the freshwater group but never in the saltwater group since they don't carry their eggs and take care of their young.

I'm 99.9% sure they're freshies
smile.png

I dont see ant eggs on them though. Now they just started scavenging about. one of them is on the plants and eating stuff
Odd critters?

But it seems my fish are afraid of them, even though the shrimp arent bothering them...

Last edited:
I would not worry overly much about it, they may simply be settling in. Or they may be having a bit of trouble with the difference in temperature and water chemistry between the store tank and yours; but there is nothing you can DO about that, so, either they cope in the end, or they don;t.

Shrimps are really cool in a tank, I could watch them for a long time
smile.png
(Although I also tend to drive myself crazy by trying to find and count them every time I pass the tank, which is not real productive in planted tanks LOL)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

That was a relief to hear
This morning they were just swimming about the tank and when I went up to the tank, they froze

Another question
I bought some feeder goldies

Some where like a grey color and one had a pretty grey and pink ish color(like a koi)
Will they change to become all white or silver when they are older, or will they retain the color a little

I give feeders a home in my pond from time to time to eat mosquito larvae. They have never changed color on me though.

they sound pretty active to me active shrimp are ones that just slowly crawl around and pick at things in the tank. now if they were swimming around darting all over the place CONSTANLTY then that would be cause for worry or if you start noticing any turning a milky color and tilting that will also not be a good sign but so far all sounds well congratz! add some dense plants and a sponge over the filter intake and you may end up with tons of new little baby shrimps!

Back
Top Bottom