Gimpy Turkeys

Country Fowl

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2016
I have two standard bronze turkeys (a hen and a tom) that seem to not want to get up and move a lot. It appears that their legs are sore. They get to the food and water just fine and walk around a bit but I see them laying down much more often than they walk. When they do get up and walk, they just look really gimpy and sore or maybe weak. I have felt and thoroughly inspected their legs and nothing seems out of place, or swollen or anything. I have checked their feet and those look good too.

I got them as poults (about 8 weeks old) and fed them a game bird starter until they were about 16 weeks old and then I switched them to Flock Raiser which they have been on ever since (they are currently about 6 months old). By comparison, I have a Narragansett who is about the same age and has been fed the same food and she doesn't have any issues.

I know the broad breasted varieties can have issues with their legs but these guys are (or at least appear to be) the standard variety. Is there anything I can do to help them out?

I don't know that much about turkeys, so I would make sure they are getting a good poultry vitamin mineral supplement, that the feed is fresh dated, and then you may want to post on the turkey forum at the top of the page.

Back
Top Bottom