Giving broody egg and chick?

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
So my quiery is that I have a broody on my hands. I have 1 egg due to hatch in the next 24 hours, and another single egg due to hatch in 7 days. If I let the incubator finish off both hatches, could I then put both chicks under her when the second one hatches?

It really depends on your broody. Most hens will not accept 2 chicks of such age difference, for what I have read. Has she accepted chicks like this before?. She would be more likely to accept on or the other when they are only a day or few old. You could always try though! Just monitor them very closely and be ready to step in.

It really depends on your broody. Most hens will not accept 2 chicks of such age difference, for what I have read. Has she accepted chicks like this before?. She would be more likely to accept on or the other when they are only a day or few old. You could always try though! Just monitor them very closely and be ready to step in.

This is her first time being broody so don't know what sort of mama she will be.
The reason why I want to try and give her both is that I don't want to brood 1 chick on its own, so though she could brood both or I would brood them.
But like you say, not sure if she would accept them both due to the age difference.

I think that you have little to lose by trying, as at least you have a brooder. To me, at least, its one of those "you won't know until you try" situations.

Back
Top Bottom