Giving chicks to a 6-day broody

Sakmeht

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Anyone have luck giving new chicks to a broody who's only been broody 5 or 6 days? I keep thinking she's finally getting serious, but then I see her off the nest for long stretches, like hours at a time. This morning when I reached in to pet her in the nest box, she was especially screechy - and she went broody for me last year and raised chicks, but I'd hate to put chicks under her and lose them.

If she sits tight today and for the next 5/6 days until hatch with only minimal breaks, I may give it a shot and just be there to watch early in the a.m. to see if she accepts them. It'd be nice not to have to raise them myself, although I wouldn't mind trying out my new Brinsea Ecoglow.:)

Success! We ended up giving our broody hen 4 day old chicks and she'd been broody for 10 days. She's raised babies before, but I was hoping an early introduction wouldn't spoil things. My friend brought over some of the chicks we'd hatched. We knew they were boys and she didn't want them so I said I'd raise them and process them. She had tried giving a chick yesterday to her 2-day broody which did not go well. She pecked him pretty hard and so my friend yanked him out of there. Just wanted to let you all know that it was successful.

Now, I'm just waiting for her to take them off the nest for food and water. I took the rest of the dummy eggs away from her last night. I'm hoping she'll get them off the nest today. Will they be okay if she doesn't, seeing as they're not brand new hatchlings?

Thanks

Success! We ended up giving our broody hen 4 day old chicks and she'd been broody for 10 days. She's raised babies before, but I was hoping an early introduction wouldn't spoil things. My friend brought over some of the chicks we'd hatched. We knew they were boys and she didn't want them so I said I'd raise them and process them. She had tried giving a chick yesterday to her 2-day broody which did not go well. She pecked him pretty hard and so my friend yanked him out of there. Just wanted to let you all know that it was successful.

Now, I'm just waiting for her to take them off the nest for food and water. I took the rest of the dummy eggs away from her last night. I'm hoping she'll get them off the nest today. Will they be okay if she doesn't, seeing as they're not brand new hatchlings?

Thanks
I'm so glad to know things went well!

I just had a broody only hatch 2 of 6 eggs. I didn't want to waste her maternal instincts, so I grafted 4 silkies that were 10 days old in there. She took them just fine. I put them in at night, then in the am cleaned the debris out of the box and tipped it over ( rubbermaid tub) on it's side so the silkies could get out to the food and water. Apparently I messed with her enough she took them all over to the feed and water. So, if she doesn't take them out soonish, I'd put her out next to the food. Don't usually advocate messing with them, but as you stated these chicks have already used up the yolk nutrition and need to eat and drink.

I ended up moving them to a temporary enclosure under my coop. They're blocked off from the other hens and have food, water and a cat crate she can use as a nest. I don't know if she'll use it. I'll just be happy if she sits on the ground with them. They are definitely responding to her as "mom".

I was going to put some of my marans and ameraucanas under her too (they are a day younger) but my kids insisted they wanted hand-raised, super friendly chickens this year. lol Our broody-raised chicks have always been a bit standoffish.

Great article I have found success this same way. We actually had a broody come off with just a few chicks
different pens eggs were all bad. So we went and picked up some newly hatched chicks and placed them with
her few that were a few days old. She took them all no problem and has raised them right up.

Back
Top Bottom