giving day old chicks to a broody hen

jbb23

Hatching
13 Years
Jan 20, 2007
I have chicks en route from the hatchery and just realized the 2 broody hens I have might be able to raise them for me.
One did a batch of her own (and others') eggs last year successfully, the other is broody for the first time but seems to be persistent.
The hens have both been sitting in the nest (I've been trying to break their broodiness) for ~10 days but I haven't left any eggs under them. Do they need to sit on eggs before the chicks arrive or can they go from broody to mommy in 1 day flat?
Is there a max number of chicks per hen?
Suggestions about how to introduce them?
Thanks,
Jase

I think every situation is going to be different. I have hens that will mother any and all, and i have had broody hens that i think would kill a baby if you let em. You just need to try introducing them when you have time to watch for a while and be sure she will have them. I got 2 baby BLRW's yesterday, both about 4 weeks old-ish......and my my broody silkie hen(not on eggs) lets them snuggle up under her wing and loves playing mom. Good luck to you........I think its always good to have a silkie hen around
smile.png

Last edited:
my broody had to have some help with her first borns.. and 1 day away from her made her forget them. she tried very hard to kill them before i got them out..
to reward her she got an ice bath two or three dips and back in the penn. she lost em all. made me mad..
and my intellect is about as hers... jdy

Back
Top Bottom