giving ducklings niacin supplements??

The Brewers yeast I have isn't in pill form so how much would I give for three ducklings?

Here is a guesstimate I have made about Brewer's yeast. If anyone can offer better information about how much a duckling actually drinks in a day, that would be welcome!

Okay, two tablespoons of brewer's yeast contains 10 mg of niacin, based on this page http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323569/2

The guesswork is in how much water a duckling actually ingests in a day. If a duckling actually drinks a half a cup of water a day, it would be getting (16 cups in a gallon, 32 half cups in a gallon . . . . 150 divided by 30, more or less) 5 mg of niacin from water with 150 mg niacin per gallon. Which would be about a tablespoon of brewer's yeast.

I thought you sprinkled it on the food?

Yes, you sprinkle it on their food.

The only dosage information I had was for niacin in water. I used that information to figure out about how much niacin each duckling would get.

Then I looked up how much niacin is in Brewer's yeast, and from that calculated how much Brewer's yeast in their food would provide as much niacin as the formula for adding niacin to their water.

Last edited:
Yes, you sprinkle it on their food.

The only dosage information I had was for niacin in water. I used that information to figure out about how much niacin each duckling would get.

Then I looked up how much niacin is in Brewer's yeast, and from that calculated how much Brewer's yeast in their food would provide as much niacin as the formula for adding niacin to their water.

I p refer the water method, because that's the only way to guarantee the ducklings get it in their systems. When you just sprinkle it over their food much of it either falls to the bottom or gets scattered out because let's face it, ducks be messy, yo. :p

Hi guys. I'm about to have ducklings hatch and someone told me to get this stuff for the niacin that's called vitamins and electrolytes plus by agrilabs. It's off of Amazon. It has 5000mg of niacin so I was wondering How much I should sprinkle on the food and How often also How much grit should I put on their food and How often and can I put them both in the food together. Thanks.

I put a quarter teaspoon of the powder per gallon of drinking water. I gave it to my ducklings once a week, or once every two weeks till they were about 3 months old. Now I just use it during times of stress (heat wave, extreme cold, molting).

Back
Top Bottom