Glad to be here!

CKC Coop

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Hi everyone! I have been a Facebook fan of this page and have used it as a resource for awhile now, but had never thought to join until now. I am so excited! My son got some baby chicks for his 8th birthday last April. My husband had raised chickens as a boy and we have known for a few years now that when our son turned 8 we would get in the chicken business. I had absolutely NO IDEA I would fall in love with the crazy things! I just figured it would be great to have our own fresh eggs and a good project for our son. Oh my goodness! Chickens are so much fun! I feel like I was missing out the last 38 years of my life by not having them around. Lol! We started out last April with 21. 7 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 5 Rhode Island Red/Whites, 3 New Hampshires, and one New Hampshire rooster. This summer we also took on a friend's Easter Egg rooster. He was the same age as our chickens and though it was a rough start for him ( our hens and rooster were not so nice) he finally was included in the flock. About 6 weeks ago we ordered 11 Easter Egger hens, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Light Brahmas, and 5 Black Australorps. They will probably start laying around the first of the year. I have learned so much about chickens and eggs...most of my Google searches led me to your page and I was never disappointed by the answers. I still have many questions about chickens. They pop up daily. I'm excited to get to talk "chicken" with all of you.

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us. Chickens are so addictive!

Have you visited our great Learning Center, it's the perfect place to start. Afterwards you may be interested in the many forums that are available ie, "Raising Backyard Chickens." Welcome to the BYC flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all of the breeds you mentioned and you have a great mix of breeds; a lot of good, hardy, dependable layers. Black Australorps are my favorite, standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you've put together a nice flock! You should have a very colorful egg basket!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! You have what we call chicken math... bad! LOL Don't worry, I started with 4 hens and 3 years later I had over 100!
They are wonderful, aren't they? Enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom