GLW Sitting on Eggs - Update Thread! 1st Hatch Questions

PouleNoire

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone!! So to cut to the chase, my Golden Laced Wyandotte; Lacey is sitting on, currently, 5 eggs. I would like to have her sit on a few more gathered in the upcoming few days. I know I don't want them too spaced out because I don't want a too broad staggered hatch. Any thoughts on this/advice not to? Also, we didn't really plan to have her sit on, or hatch any eggs at all this year so this is kind of just I don't know how to put it, last minute idea just to see if she will hatch them I guess? But I do want what's best for the chicks! ANY advice at all is appreciated!!! Here's some more info:
  • The eggs are those of all of the breeds of our hens (a lot of various breeds) and a birchen cochin bantam rooster. So they will all be x-breeds.
  • From my understanding develope ment should be pretty clear (noticable veims) by around day 3/4?
...I know there's so much more but that's all I can think of right now, I'll probably think of some things later and ask them but that's all for now, thanks everyone! I will post the best candling pics I can, broody pics etc. Ahh, a little nervous since this is the first time we've even attempted this and it was a last minute dicision to let her sit and everything but I want to give the chicks the best chance of survival! Evn if this batch doesn't end up hatching I would greatly appreciate the information for future planned hatches! Sorry went on a rant there:oops:, thanks again!

Ok cool, thanks for the reassurance, I still need to do a total count of all the eggs. Things have been busy here so this update is a little late but I just candled 3 of them tonight and we have a little development in at least 2 (veins sprouting)! Good to see, she has really been doing a good job:love

Agreed with the person above, I wouldn't add eggs. What you could do is add more chicks on the day hers hatch or the day after if you can find some day old-four day olds locally. If you plan to add chicks to her brood, I would do it in the evening just after sunset, and be there in the morning when she gets up to care for them in case she doesn't like the additions. Happy for you! It's a blessing to have a broody despite what anyone might tell ya haha. I love them.
Is she in the hen house or have you separated her? I've had hens hatch broods both ways: with the flock and secluded. Both ways have worked well, but I like to separate especially if the broody isn't high on the pecking order.

Our GLW seem to be determined broodies, though I haven't had a chance yet to let them try to hatch a clutch. I'm hoping to soon. I'll be watching and rooting for you and Lacey! Best of luck!

Agreed with the person above, I wouldn't add eggs. What you could do is add more chicks on the day hers hatch or the day after if you can find some day old-four day olds locally. If you plan to add chicks to her brood, I would do it in the evening just after sunset, and be there in the morning when she gets up to care for them in case she doesn't like the additions. Happy for you! It's a blessing to have a broody despite what anyone might tell ya haha. I love them.
Is she in the hen house or have you separated her? I've had hens hatch broods both ways: with the flock and secluded. Both ways have worked well, but I like to separate especially if the broody isn't high on the pecking order.
Ya we have not added any eggs. We'll just go with how many hatch:) She is in the hen house and like I said, thinking of adding curtains or something to add privacy but she seems to be doing ok. ONE QUESTION; I don't want her to raise the chicks in the flock because we have a rooster and some active/crazy chickens at times and they're in a feild and I don't want the chicks to get hurt. I was going to move her closer to hatch time (before the lock down time) cause I know she has to get acquainted with the place before the chicks so she can show them etc. I know all the info on the place I would move her to so I already know that but when is more the question, thanks!!:D Oh and she is pretty high on the pecking order.

Out first broody hatch was with a young hen, we placed 6 eggs under her in her own broody box with a small run attached, I made sure she had food and water, everything she needed when the chicks hatched. Other than that I left her alone for 3 weeks and 4 of the six hatched without any problem. Make sure she is safe and comfortable and let her do her hen thing and all should be well, in 3 weeks you will have cute little fluffy butts sticking their heads out from under Mom. Good luck. :thumbsup

I like using Aseel hens for hatching eggs. They always remain high in the pecking order and take excellent care of the chicks. I have other breeds too who go broody from time to time I never move them moving them disrupts the pecking order. Chicks who grow up with the flock integrate easily and chickens are not all that evil creatures and roosters are not Pharoes of Egypt.
I wonder why you set only 5 eggs under the hen? I never give less than a dozen egg to a broody hen sometimes I even give them 15 or 16.

I like using Aseel hens for hatching eggs. They always remain high in the pecking order and take excellent care of the chicks. I have other breeds too who go broody from time to time I never move them moving them disrupts the pecking order. Chicks who grow up with the flock integrate easily and chickens are not all that evil creatures and roosters are not Pharoes of Egypt.
I wonder why you set only 5 eggs under the hen? I never give less than a dozen egg to a broody hen sometimes I even give them 15 or 16.
Sorry that was a miscount just made an accurate count tonight and she's sitting on 10:D

Out first broody hatch was with a young hen, we placed 6 eggs under her in her own broody box with a small run attached, I made sure she had food and water, everything she needed when the chicks hatched. Other than that I left her alone for 3 weeks and 4 of the six hatched without any problem. Make sure she is safe and comfortable and let her do her hen thing and all should be well, in 3 weeks you will have cute little fluffy butts sticking their heads out from under Mom. Good luck. :thumbsup
Awww that's amazing to hear! That gives me hope:) that's what were doing, just letting her do her thing! So far she's been great and recent (within 2 days one tonight) of candling were seeing early development!:ya

Back
Top Bottom