Go on, admit it... Do you talk to your chickens?

I love talking to my chickens
smile.png
And they love it!

Yes, I agree. The "lowest" chicken was the worst offender (and she was the meanest to the new chicks as well). I think a lot of them were put off or confused at first because Pumpkin had lost so many feathers and they were just coming in, and she still had a lot of them sticking out every which way. There were plenty of them, the higher ranking crowd, now that I think of it, who just looked at her like "Oh, hi. You're back." and went on their way.

It is so delightful to read everyone's comments about their conversations with their chooks. !! I talk to mine all the time, which embarrasses the heck out of my husband. He thinks I'm nuts.

One of my chooks likes 'helping' any way she can .... much to my husbands' horror. !! It doesn't matter who is in the run, or in the coop - she 'interferes' - gets in the way .... gets under foot, up under a skirt ( NEVER wear a skirt !! ) .... and when we use the spade for any reason, decides it would be helpful to 'perch' on the spade as it is being used. Husband was horrified at first, and then decided it best to get on with whatever the job was at hand - while Molly sits happily on the spade shaft - wobbling this way and that as he digs ( carefully ) around the coop. Does slow him down a bit - admittedly !!

Big help, our Molly. Heaven help me if I am in the garden doing anything. Molly 'helps' .... and while a nuisance, is also an absolute delight. Her best friend Mandy, does not do 'assistance' .... she stays around but does not join in. They have all learned a few commands as well. I am currently trying to teach them the word "NO" .... with just a wee bit of success
clap.gif
....... so far.

Last edited:
Oh, yes, the spoiled chicken who's been in the house. We had one mauled by the dog (third one, actually, and yes, the dog is now living in a friend's backyard until we find a new home for her - she also killed three.) Pumpkin had to stay inside with us for almost three weeks resting and healing. Finally put her with the rest, who didn't recognize her with half her feathers missing and kept chasing her. She has now found her place again, but she still comes frantically running when she sees me, screaming "Help me! Help! Please! They're murdering me"
gig.gif
Yeah, right.

They're so much fun.
Lol! I have a chicken named Pumpkin too! I have a different chicken that acts JUST like your Pumpkin too! She's a new girl so every time I go into the coop she goes FLYING out and jumps up on me! Sometimes on my head. Lol

big_smile.png
Pumpkin tried that, too. First time I put her back, I went in the run and tried to keep the other girls busy. I had my back to her. I heard a loud flapping and then felt both of her feet on my back right between the shoulder blades. I'm not sure whether her intent was to let me know she didn't like me turning my back on her or if she was trying to land on me. At any rate, she launched off my back and landed hard on the ground. I ignored her (which was hard), and she didn't try again. I've been learning a lot of psychology since these girls (and two boys) joined us.

Back
Top Bottom