Goat coughing breathing really hard. Maybe choking I think

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
I found her coughing about hour ago and she been breathing really hard since. Like she tried to cough something up once or twice . She’s hiding from me now cause I’m trying to figure it out. I didn’t se anything but she got away fast.

Luckily, the coughing has stopped in the fall. Panting has stopped, but she still breathing very hard. I did massage her neck. I didn’t feel anything in there. I called the vet just to ask questions, but it was hard to say since they couldn’t see her. Are not on call tonight plus my daughter and I got Covid last weekend so that’s not real safe to take her there or for them to come around regardless.
I mean, everything else at least seems normal, but that heavy breathing is really getting me. I can tell it’s bothering her and worrying me
Maybe she wasn’t choking it was just kind of my assumption. I can’t figure it out.

Is she eating/drinking/pooping? How is the color of her eyes? Is the breathing a deep rattling breath, wet sounding, or rasping? Is there any way you can post a video of her?

I’ve been trying to post a video but I having terrible service ( no internet here and my cell service is been terrible for a few days now)
Oddly she has no other symptoms
She did start eating normal again. Drank a little. Urinating regular and poop looks normal. Checked on her on and off till midnight. She’s no longer panting but still breathing fast when they went up at around 8 and didn’t get any worse or or better when I did my last check about 3 hour ago. I’m gonna keep trying to load a video though

Goats tend to go downhill super fast. At this point, keep an eye on her an monitor for other symptoms. Ideally you'd call a vet, but with your situation that's difficult to do. It could be that she choked or inhaled something and is still trying to recover.

Back
Top Bottom