Goat milk question

rainlips

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Northern michigan
I had a friend call and say she needed me to take her doe. I have two others so I gladly excepted... She had twins in feb but is no longer with her. My friend contained to milk her well when I went to milk her only one side is filling up. It's not hot or hard, I tried to milk from the other side but got nothing.... It's not even full. So.... How can I get the non milking side to fill? Can I? I'm at a loss on what to do!
Thank you!!!

I had a friend call and say she needed me to take her doe. I have two others so I gladly excepted... She had twins in feb but is no longer with her. My friend contained to milk her well when I went to milk her only one side is filling up. It's not hot or hard, I tried to milk from the other side but got nothing.... It's not even full. So.... How can I get the non milking side to fill? Can I? I'm at a loss on what to do!
Thank you!!!

I am sorry to say, it probably won't fill if it isn't or hasn't filled. Were the kids only nursing on one side? If that was the case, they she was only getting demand on one side of her udder. So the side that wasn't getting used dried up. That can happen. I know when I had a group of kids nursing one side, I milked the other side to make sure it kept producing. But that has to be done early, when you first realize it is happening.

I was afraid of that.... Then I guess I will just milk one side for now, until it's to much of a pain and let her totally dry up :( there's always next kidding season..

I hope she is a good girl for you with you milking the remaining side! Just think, if she is a good milker with only one side producing, just imagine how good it will be with two!

Each time I great my does and check on them and their kids each morning and evening, I give the udders a quick fondle. It is mostly to check if one or both sides are empty, filled, partly empty, etc. If they have kids not taking enough or are preferring one side, I milk her out.

We just went and checked on her... She ran straight to the milking stand and jumped right up lol
We got about a cup from the one side.... Half of me wonders....
My friend is a little on the hair headed side and has 6-8 does all in with a buck. Goats are more of her husbands thing but he has been gone... I'm wondering if she really did have kids this past February... Most of her does have kidded and I can't say for sure if she truly knows who kidded and who didn't. Heck my die could have nursed someone else's kids. Our new doe looks like she is pregnant but... Who knows! I'm totally baffled and unsure of all the my friend has told me!

Back
Top Bottom