Goat proof chicken feeder, SUCCESS!!!!

Yea I was hoping that the wire cage would work until the goats were too big to fit into the coop, but one of them kept insisting. so I made the box and he gave up. and then after about 4 months he got too big to fit through the pop hole and I was able to go back to regular feeders. these inventions worked well and served their purpose, but regular feeders are my preference because you can fill them up more and it seems to create less competition. I also have more chickens now so having only 6 holes on the front was not enough.

I ended up moving my goats to a pasture as well. stepping in chicken poo all day wasn't good for their hooves, and I gained access to more space on my property. So everyone is happier now!

Pop hole? Is this something you made to help keep the goats out? If so, I would appreciate a picture. Like you, I would like to go back to regular feeders without the cages. I don't think the girls are a big fan of them.

Pop hole? Is this something you made to help keep the goats out? If so, I would appreciate a picture. Like you, I would like to go back to regular feeders without the cages. I don't think the girls are a big fan of them.

A "pop hole" is a term for a small door in a chicken coop that the chickens go in and out of.

My goats live with my chickens and I was able to keep them out of the coop with a design I got off of here. I can take a picture later. I put 3 pieces off wood around the pop door so the chickens have to go through the door, then jump up onto the wood to get into the coop. It really helped! Im curious tho why chicken poop is bad for goats hooves?

I don't know if the poop is actually that bad. Im just a little paranoid and would rather prevent any sort of problem. I wasn't sure if too much poo and a lot of moisture (like if it rains for a few days) would contribute to hoof rot. I havent actually seen it but i want to prevent any potential.
sickbyc.gif

Heres a picture of my pop hole.

I used this little thing to keep the goats from being about to slide open the door more. once they were about 5-6 months old they were too big to fit through the smallest size that my chickens were able to fit through.

and heres my youngest girls being curious this morning!

Back
Top Bottom