Goat Question

You mention you only have minimal experience with goats. Are you planning on breeding him? Please make sure to research the characteristics and behavior of intacked bucks. If you are not planning to breed weathers(spelling?) make better pets. I would suggest looking into that right away if you are not planning to breed.
I apologize I should have said minimal expense with bucks, I’ve only owned does for almost 2 years and we finally decided to add a buck to our herd for breeding so we can have a more sustainable milk supply and to be more self sufficient. I have done research on bucks but I guess my main goal is to try and bond with him early to help allievate possible aggression in the future. I was hoping bottle feeding to help with that. I hope this makes sense I’ve had a long work day ❤️

Yeah, wethers (I think thats how you spell it?) make much nicer pets.
At 8 weeks, you could band him if you wanted to; that is when I do mine.
Thank you ❤️ I’ve owned does for almost 2 years and we wanted to add an intact buck to our herd for breeding so we can have a more sustainable milk supply and to be more sufficient.

Yeah that's the other thing. Like I said I don't know everything what I said was just what I know. I forgot how bucks do get a bit cray cray during "the season". Also it's important to consider there personality in order to get a good Idea of how crazy they will be during "that season" and if they will be calm or not.
For sure, I was hoping bottle feeding could create a strong bond so he won’t be as aggressive (or at least one can hope!)

So a few things.
Yes, you can try and feed him for a bit longer, my goats with their mothers keep drinking milk up to around 11 weeks old, so that is what I try to do when I am bottle feeding.
If he wants milk from a bottle is another thing, as if a kid is used to feeding from their mother, they usually distrust bottles.

But a big point, is whether it is a good idea, if you are keeping him as a buck.
Bucks can be nasty when it is 'that season' you want them to respect you, if you walk at him, you want him to get out of the way.
This will be almost impossible if he is bottle fed.
One of mine, despite not being bottle fed, needed a few good whacks on the nose before he started to respect me.
As he is already weened, I would just feed him is food, and hang out with him a bit, but let him be a goat, and grow up around other goats if possible.
Why is bottle feeding not going to allow him to respect me? (Not trying to be rude I just don’t understand, I would think a stronger bond would be a good idea for a potentially aggressive animal, right?)

Thank you ❤️ I’ve owned does for almost 2 years and we wanted to add an intact buck to our herd for breeding so we can have a more sustainable milk supply and to be more sufficient.
Makes total sense, and I thought that was what you were thinking of getting him for.
I just put that out there to make sure of what you were wanting.

Makes total sense, and I thought that was what you were thinking of getting him for.
I just put that out there to make sure of what you were wanting.
Of course! When I got my first pair of goats I learned so much and how much a pain in the butt they can be! But I really love them and they bring us so much fulfillment ❤️ I did not want a buck until I felt like we were ready. Now I’m just worried about combating possible aggression!

Why is bottle feeding not going to allow him to respect me? (Not trying to be rude I just don’t understand, I would think a stronger bond would be a good idea for a potentially aggressive animal, right?)
Well, firstly, it will always depend on the individual, so he might be really sweet.
I have bottle fed three kids, all female.
The first was always quite bossy, the second is a terror with the other goats, but she is very loving to me.
The third is very tiresome, always getting in the way, and getting out of the paddock.
If you put all these traits together, and then add in the hormones of an intact male in the breeding season, you might get an idea why it can go wrong.
He will try to boss you around, (and trust me, that hurts) he will try to 'love' you, which most likely will come across as mating behaver.
He might get out of the paddock, and go wondering around your house (of cause, this depends how good your fences are).
But again, none of these might happen, you might be really happy with him!

When goats are dam raised, but regularly handled, they mostly are very friendly, but just a little more reserved.
And I think if you feed him any food, that will be a great bonding experience for you both, but might just be a little more manageable.
But if you really want to bottle feed him, go for, but just be aware of it all!

Well, firstly, it will always depend on the individual, so he might be really sweet.
I have bottle fed three kids, all female.
The first was always quite bossy, the second is a terror with the other goats, but she is very loving to me.
The third is very tiresome, always getting in the way, and getting out of the paddock.
If you put all these traits together, and then add in the hormones of an intact male in the breeding season, you might get an idea why it can go wrong.
He will try to boss you around, (and trust me, that hurts) he will try to 'love' you, which most likely will come across as mating behaver.
He might get out of the paddock, and go wondering around your house (of cause, this depends how good your fences are).
But again, none of these might happen, you might be really happy with him!

When goats are dam raised, but regularly handled, they mostly are very friendly, but just a little more reserved.
And I think if you feed him any food, that will be a great bonding experience for you both, but might just be a little more manageable.
But if you really want to bottle feed him, go for, but just be aware of it all!
Thank you so much! This is all wonderful information - I don’t want to do the wrong thing ❤️

Of course! When I got my first pair of goats I learned so much and how much a pain in the butt they can be! But I really love them and they bring us so much fulfillment ❤️ I did not want a buck until I felt like we were ready. Now I’m just worried about combating possible aggression!
I love my goats too!
We have always had them, and there has been many bucks that I loved too!
But I did kind of learn the hard way that loving and playing with them to much doesn't end very well.
If he does start to get nasty, a smooth stick whacked across the side of his nose works wonders!
I don't like doing it, but if that makes the difference between being able to keep him, or having to get rid of him, I think its worth it.
Afterwards, just moving toward him with a stick makes him forget about butting me.
(And yes, I am thinking of you, Balen!)

Back
Top Bottom