Goat sudden death worried about the other

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
Came down to the barn to do the barn chores and one of my nigerian dwarf does was laying dead in their stall. Her eyes were open and glassy. She was next to the water bucket which was kicked over. I didn’t go to the barn yesterday because I’m no longer staying at the house with the barn due to family reasons. Dad said the goat was running around playing and was completely fine. When he picked up the body, water ran out of her nose. These are our first two goats and we’ve had them for a little over a year. The other goat is struggling with bloat and we don’t really know what to do. She has diarrhea. When I first let her out she was bleating and running around, eating, drinking, but when we removed the body of the dead goat, she stopped. She wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t make a sound. We’re worried that we’re going to lose her too. The other goat showed no sign of illness and seemed to have just dropped dead. We’re wondering if she either had a heart attack because it is the summer and it’s hot and humid where I live. Or whether she had a seizure...But my main question is what to do about Francis. I think she’s kinda stressed right now which may account for the diarrhea and I think she’s really lonely. She’s gotten really quiet and will just look at us and allow us to pet all over her (she was skittish when we bought her and hesitates to be touched). We’re ready to get Francis a new friend to help with the loneliness. Is this the best idea? What should I do? The stall has been stripped as much as we can do at the moment. I’m really worried about Francis. My dad promised to check on her late at night. I have her by herself and away from the dogs to keep her from stressing and pawned off Beanie into her stall to keep her company much to his disapproval.

If you want to know what happened, you need lab work from your state animal diagnostic lab. What state are you in?
Georgia and I don’t know if we have any place near where I live. But that would be kind of hard since my dads already removed the body and we don’t exactly have a place to keep one.

The most common cause of sudden death in goats by far is enterotoxemia. It can and does kill in a matter of hours. If you cut the dead goat open, you will find the intestines are covered with purple striations or the whole intestine may be purple. A goat that has entero will usually have a slightly distended belly. The goat may stretch and lie down and get up. It may press its head against the wall. Eventually it will start screaming in pain and die shortly thereafter. Treatment is a dose of entertoxemia antitoxin. A dose of penicillin, Gas X, and thiamine is also helpful. Vaccinating the goat with CD/T reduces the incidence of entero a great deal, but it is not 100% effective. Two things ALWAYS to be found in my goat medicine chest were a current bottle of enterotoxemia antitoxin and a packet of Gas X for bloat. Both entero and bloat strike without warning and are true emergencies.

The most common cause of sudden death in goats by far is enterotoxemia. It can and does kill in a matter of hours. If you cut the dead goat open, you will find the intestines are covered with purple striations or the whole intestine may be purple. A goat that has entero will usually have a slightly distended belly. The goat may stretch and lie down and get up. It may press its head against the wall. Eventually it will start screaming in pain and die shortly thereafter. Treatment is a dose of entertoxemia antitoxin. A dose of penicillin, Gas X, and thiamine is also helpful. Vaccinating the goat with CD/T reduces the incidence of entero a great deal, but it is not 100% effective. Two things ALWAYS to be found in my goat medicine chest were a current bottle of enterotoxemia antitoxin and a packet of Gas X for bloat. Both entero and bloat strike without warning and are true emergencies.
Where can I find these things for my other goat?

Just an update on Francis. She’s still alive and seems to be more normal. Her diarrhea seems to have cleared up but she’s a little red around there. She has an appetite and I gave her the smallest amount of grain with some vegetable oil mixed in to help with the bloat. She was running around (she snuck out of the stall as I was leaving) and licked on Storms salt block. I’m about to leave to pick up some penicillin and some good hay for her to eat.
227C7E42-8BC8-4915-B103-E3366AB2BAAF.jpeg

Photo taken today

Where can I find these things for my other goat?
At this point you probably don't need it but you should keep these items on hand. You should be able to find CD/T and enterotoxemia antitoxin at the feed store or livestock supply. You can buy GasX at any grocery or drug store. It is found with the other medicines for gas. You have to get thiamine from the vet. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom