Going away for 3 weeks

HarrisonCreek

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hi All,

Our three 6 month old hens are fairly reliable about going in at night, etc. We are going away for 3 weeks. Our teenage neighbor is willing to check in on them, but we've also had an offer from a friend with a big coop to house while we are away, with the idea that THEY are then moving overseas and we would take 2 of their bantams (ours are full size) and the other 3 bantams would then go elsewhere.

Sound great from a human perspective ( I know they will be looked after properly) but I've notice the chooks get confused when I even move something around in the yard or the coop. I'm wondering if I'm right that they *need* to be creatures of habit, and best not to muck up a good thing?

The other flock is 5 bantams (including one silkie that does get bullied a bit) and we have 3 big birds. They are all different breeds. I thought maybe the 5 bantams being on their home turf would take care of themselves and our big girls couldn't possibly get bothered too badly.

Thoughts??

I'd sure try out the move first before committing to the bantam flock. Lots of people find they have to house their bantams and large fowl separately -- although others mix them. Your flock may mix fine with theirs, or they may not. The teenager would certainly be less stress on your birds. I guess it depends on how well you know the teen and can trust him to be responsible about it - or maybe whether a parent would supervise?

If the friend has a big coop, maybe they can partition part of it off for your flock?
Keeping the birds separated by wire, it would begin the integration process that will happen anyway when you take their birds.

Back
Top Bottom