Going to try hatching some duck eggs for the first time!

mamaboyd

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Kendal.Ontario,Canada
I finally found someone local here that had all kinds of different breeds of ducks. He also had every type of chicken breed imaginable there which I didn't think anyone around here raised! Anyhow I wasn't sure what kind of eggs to get so the kind man picked out some for us and we ended up with an assortment of pale blue/green eggs which I believe are Swedish ducks and pale pink/cream which are Muscovy. I went to ask him how much he wanted and he told me "no charge", he gave us 13 eggs for free. How nice was that!!
smile.png
I put them in the incubator tonight along with 25 chicken eggs that I put in last night. I've never hatched duck eggs before so we are super excited!!
I also know where I'm going back when I want to get the special breeds of chickens I want after I twist DH's arms to allow me to have them and after he builds us many more coops!
lol.png

im on the saaaaaaaammmmmmeeeeeee boat!!! im geting 36!! (omg) duck eggs next week in the mail! ahh! this will be my firt time with duck eggs and only my 3rd time trying to hatch! WOW!! i soo exited.. there are 3 difrent breeds ( 12 runner 12 rouen 12 sweedish) and im freaking out! its gonna be SO exiting! WOOOOHOOO
wee.gif

Looking forward to seeing how you make out with your eggs shmooborp!! I wanted Rouens as well, but they didn't have any, and I don't think I got any Runner eggs, even though they had the birds, but than again, I'm all new to this and have no idea what color of eggs certain breeds of ducks lay, so I might just end up with some runners as well
smile.png
Will you be getting black or blue Swedish's??

im getting both! lol.. this is whats coming in each shipment.... in the first pacage there should be 12 blue black sweedish and possible pure cayuga, in the second are 12 pikien\
ouen\\buff , and in the third there are 12 chocoalte and pied runner! wow what a mix!!! im gonna have to lablle all the eggs and band them once they hatch just so i know whos who! LOL
big_smile.png

Sounds like you're going to have quite a neat mix of ducks!!
I'm so excited to be hatching them for the first time. I've had 2 chicken hatches, and than doing one more chick hatch with these ducks as well. Who knows, I may get addicted to ducks too!
lol.png
I keep wondering what I've gotten myself into
smile.png

Incubation for domestic ducks is 28 days and for Muscovy is 35 days. They will need higher humidity when they are pipping.

Muscovy are wonderful ducks.

chel

Quote:
Thanks for the info Chel!! I've heard Muscovy's are great, and I think they are supposed to be pretty docile. I can't wait for them to start working on bug control around here
lol.png

i got one of the shipments of duck eggs today....
hmm.png
out of twelve 5 of them were demolished... and then the 7 remaining have really scrambled airsacs.....so we will se what happens.. im expeting 2 more shipments this week... i hope they come SAFE and soon... :|

pips&peeps :

Quote:
PS The eggs are on their way.
jumpy.gif

sweet thanky you sooo much!! i hope they make it ok1 im kinda angery with the
po since is said in big bold letters on the box to call me when the pacage comes and had my phone number right there... but they droped it at my door
roll.png
i suspect the eggs will get here tomorow or wednesday
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom