Gold Duckwing vs Golden Duckwing

Byrdj

Songster
Dec 7, 2008
Commerce, GA
Is there a difference between Gold Duckwing and Golden Duckwing in Old English Game Bantams? What would I get using a BB Red Roo over a Silver Duckwing hen?

By the genetics standpoint there's gold duckwing and silver duckwing. "Golden" duckwing is a male with one silver gene and one gold gene.
Silver and gold is sex linked so females only have one gene so they have to be one or the other, silver or gold duckwing.
So is there a difference in gold and golden duckwing in oegb? Yes they are different. As stated golden duckwing males have one gene of each silver/gold. Females are silver duckwing.
Gold duckwing in oegb is called BBR.
Breeding a BBR male over silver duckwing females will give you golden duckwing males and BBR females.
If you reverse it and breed a silver duckwing rooster over BBR hens you'll get golden duckwing males and silver duckwing or golden duckwing females (whichever you prefer because theyre the same thing)

By the genetics standpoint there's gold duckwing and silver duckwing. "Golden" duckwing is a male with one silver gene and one gold gene.
Silver and gold is sex linked so females only have one gene so they have to be one or the other, silver or gold duckwing.
So is there a difference in gold and golden duckwing in oegb? Yes they are different. As stated golden duckwing males have one gene of each silver/gold. Females are silver duckwing.
Gold duckwing in oegb is called BBR.
Breeding a BBR male over silver duckwing females will give you golden duckwing males and BBR females.
If you reverse it and breed a silver duckwing rooster over BBR hens you'll get golden duckwing males and silver duckwing or golden duckwing females (whichever you prefer because theyre the same thing)

Excellent information! Thanks. I didn't know BB Reds are the same thing as a Gold Duckwing. So are Golden Duckwings an approved color for poultry shows? There's no such thing as a female Golden Duckwing correct? Does breeding a BBR male over a silver duckwing female give you the same yellow/gold coloration on the males as a silver duckwing male over a BBR female?

Excellent information! Thanks. I didn't know BB Reds are the same thing as a Gold Duckwing. So are Golden Duckwings an approved color for poultry shows? There's no such thing as a female Golden Duckwing correct? Does breeding a BBR male over a silver duckwing female give you the same yellow/gold coloration on the males as a silver duckwing male over a BBR female?

I think both genders are recognised now. And yes, Golden are recognised

I do believe golden duckwing is an approved variety and can be shown.
There isn't a genetic golden female but for show purposes what one would use is a silver duckwing. For breeding you can use either silver or BBR.
Yes the out come of the males are the same if you breed in either direction.

Could this be what my Henrietta is? She looks somewhere between Old English Game Bantam but has duck wing qualities but not silver, more gold.
20230912_075226.jpg

Not sure what you're asking here. OEGB is a breed so not sure what the "somewhere in between " is referring to.
Duckwing is a pattern. Yours is gold duckwing.

Not sure what you're asking here. OEGB is a breed so not sure what the "somewhere in between " is referring to.
Duckwing is a pattern. Yours is gold duckwing.
I didn't know if she was mixed breed or a duck wing. Thank you for clarifying! So she is a gold duck wing oegb. I just know she is my favorite and her feathers are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom