Gold Laced Wyandotte-Rooster or Hen??

BeOh

Hatching
Jun 23, 2015
Hello! I am new to chickens. I have 3 hens (I thought) a Leghorn, a Black sex link and a Gold Wyandotte. They are all 6-7 months old. I am pretty sure the Wyandotte is a rooster. I have read a similar post on here but I wanted to make sure before I find a new home for it because I cant have roosters where I live. My other concern is I only have the 3 and I have also read on here that it is highly reccommended that you have at least 3 in your flock. So if the wyandotte is a rooster should I try to find a third hen the same age or will I be OK with just the two girls hanging out together? I don't want to introduce a third hen and have them fighting. Help! Thanks!

I looked around online and found a site that showed the gold Wyandotte hen and rooster side by side and they sure look extremely similar! This is probably a stupid question BUT, do hens "crow" at all? I have been out of town but I was told that my Wyandotte has been making a loud crowing sound in the morning and in the evening....I don't want her to be a rooster though!

Your wyandotte is 100% rooster. If you add a third hen to replace him, she will most likely get picked on by the other two, at least at first. They might work things out eventually or the new addition may always be a bit of an outsider. Personally, I like to add new chickens in pairs. It's just easier because the new additions at least have each other. I would either just keep the 2 hens or add two more to the flock... But only if your coop is large enough for 4 full grown hens.

Definitely a cockerel. You need to add a lot more than one hen if you keep him. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and the hormones kick in, too many roosters (or in your case too few hens) will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in this regard.

Thanks! He is off to a new home on four acres with plenty of hens to hang out with.

Back
Top Bottom