Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red or Ameraucana also Is it a Pullet HELP

Sbfitzge

Chirping
Apr 11, 2018
Roanoke, VA
6CA42E99-1A3E-4811-A1DA-E536FCCA15B0.jpeg
F6AD87C8-11B6-493E-B6EA-2069F93E6B38.jpeg
4077C7D7-58F1-4D6C-9878-5F718411061B.jpeg
See bottom of paragraph for explanation of photos.

I know. A lot of questions. When we purchased our chicks, they were supposed to be 2 barred rock, and 2 golden comets. However, when we got home(chicks were in a box during the car trip), we noticed one had different markings from the other. ***Please note, the reason we’re wondering is that they had two breeds per bin. I could not recall if the bin mixed with Golden Comets were coupled with the Rhode Island Reds or the Ameraucana. Clearly, the woman picking them up, grabbed the other breed in the bin. They were either brown on their back or had two brown stripes as you can see in the first photo*** The golden comet had two distinct stripes on her back when we got her which has now faded. The other was just a brownish gold shade on her back. Now that they are getting older, I’m seeing a clear difference in color. The one we thought was a golden comet, is slowly turning into a whitish gold color. She LOVES to be held. She will fight to get on your arm and fall asleep. The other we don’t know about is turning a darker color, and almost has the body of a cockerel. However, she is very passive in demeanor. Doesn’t mind being held - seems indifferent, but very sweet by nature. I have attached photos of both. One as they are young. One as they are today which is 3-4 weeks old.

1st photo - first day home at 1-2 weeks. The one with two stripes is the one we suspect is the Golden Comet. You can see the other is a brownish color.

2nd photo - The Golden Comet at 3-4 weeks old - taken today.

3rd photo - The other we aren’t sure is a pullet or cockerel. Also, had the demeanor of a pullet and small appearance. Just wonder because of the short abdomen and upturned tail of this may be a cockerel?

Plot twist - Perhaps the brownish one is the golden comet and white one is the unknown.

HELP

Last edited:
I believe they are both comets. They can have different coloring between chick.

You think so?? I just wonder because the two breeds in the brooder were either brown or had two stripes on their back. So I feel like I got one of each that was in there. But I can’t remember what the other breed was!

It's possible the darker one is a RIR if that was an option. You will have to wait a few months to see how they feather out to know for sure. Comets are sex links so the whiter one could be a rooster too. Sorry I'm not real familiar with the breed. Hopefully someone else knows more than me.

It's possible the darker one is a RIR if that was an option. You will have to wait a few months to see how they feather out to know for sure. Comets are sex links so the whiter one could be a rooster too. Sorry I'm not real familiar with the breed. Hopefully someone else knows more than me.

I was suspecting a RIR too. I’m ok with it either way. Just waiting it out! Excited to see how beautiful they all are full grown. Thank you for your feedback. I’ll be sure to come back with photos of them when they’re older. :woot

Back
Top Bottom