Golden Girls Gone Mean Girls

Nov 5, 2023
Help! My sweet four Golden Girls have become the mean girls lol
We had four RSL we called the Golden Girls. They are so faithful to give us an egg nearly every day. Everything was going smoothly with them and friends and family started wanting eggs so I know you all know what happened next. Yep, we got more chickens lol. We were given 3 EE’s, 2 we think are fowl hens mixtures and another RSL. Well, my sweet Golden Girls turned into the Mean Girls and attack the new ones, won’t let them out of the coop unless I’m there to tell them let the new girls out.
What can I do to help the new girls be accepted by my mean girls lol.

How long have you had the new ones? Did you introduce them slowly (see no touch)?
One week. Nope, put straight in. Having to get firm with them mean girls and stand out there to make sure they let the new ones out and eating lol.
I'm also not sure what this is? Do you mean game fowl mixes? All chickens are fowl
well, they look like some kind of game hen type

It is normal for chickens to defend there territory from new comers. If they have been together a week, I would say just leave them together. Hopefully they will work the pecking order out soon. Make sure there are multiple feeders and waterers. If the first girls are still on the attack, add places to hide without getting trapped.
Well, I’m on the right track. I have set up sep eating watering places and they have plenty of inside places and roosts they group together. Just hate seeing my sweet girls turn mean. Lol

One week. Nope, put straight in. Having to get firm with them mean girls and stand out there to make sure they let the new ones out and eating lol.

well, they look like some kind of game hen type

Since you didn't quarantine, be aware that something might pop up, and spread to the old girls. Since they weren't familiar at all with the new birds, they will not treat them too kind in the beginning. Hopefully they find equilibrium soon. I also suggest placing food and water in the coop, so you don't have to stand guard each day. They'll have to sort this pecking order thing eventually. Adding some clutter to the run could also be beneficial

I'm in the same boat! I added 3 "pol" to my flock of 5 newly laying girls. Its been a few weeks and things are starting to get more cordial. I let my "original " girls out here and there allowing the new girls to explore the run. I also put them right in so hopefully no health issues popping up. 🤞🏻

Since you didn't quarantine, be aware that something might pop up, and spread to the old girls. Since they weren't familiar at all with the new birds, they will not treat them too kind in the beginning. Hopefully they find equilibrium soon. I also suggest placing food and water in the coop, so you don't have to stand guard each day. They'll have to sort this pecking order thing eventually. Adding some clutter to the run could also be beneficial
What do you mean by clutter?

I'm in the same boat! I added 3 "pol" to my flock of 5 newly laying girls. Its been a few weeks and things are starting to get more cordial. I let my "original " girls out here and there allowing the new girls to explore the run. I also put them right in so hopefully no health issues popping up. 🤞🏻
God bless them and you. I hope it smooths out for you, too. I didn’t think about needing to quarantining them. I am learning though so I will watch out for sickness.

Back
Top Bottom