golden phoenix breed?

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
Hey BYCers :) I just got three golden phoenix chicks from a friend and want to know a little about them. If you have any phoenix chickens, please tell me what you like about them and dislike. I also know that their tail feathers get very long. Is there something I need to do to keep them looking pretty and undamaged?
Please feel free to comment about your experiences with phoenix chickens. Thanks!:)

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
The Phoenix is bred from the Yokohama , & the tails don't get as long.

Red Shouldered Yokohamas

44102_p4150011.jpg

If they are just run of the mill or hatchery stock their tales won't get that long, but decent breed stock and after say 18-20 weeks old you start feeding gamebird conditioneer of at least 28% then their tale feathers will really start to bloom and look super nice and shinney. If you can give them plenty of space and don't crowd them their feathers should do well.

AL

Quote:
Yeah.............. those are great for sure, good job on those.

AL

These are not hatchery chicks. I got them from a friend who breeds his own chickens. He hatched them from his incubatr and gave them to us. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Lvr97, I've had (bantam) phoenix for a couple years now. They are 'delicate looking' birds with nice long saddle streamers and gorgeous 2+ ft tails when given enough space to produce such. I have a nice variety of color in my group, and find they are just as gentle and sweet as any cochin or silkie could be. BUT, I raised all of mine by hand
smile.png
Hatchery stock may be a bit more "sensative", but I've never had any issues with my brats. They follow me around the yard peeping/chattering at my feet for treats, eat outta my hand and are really interesting and very unique birds. I'm sure that's not the answer your looking for, but I do hope it helps out some. Aubrey & Kim of BoggyBottomBantams raise a nice selection as well...You may wanna check with him. Good luck hun.

We have one hen that has hatched two clutches and one that is sitting on her first clutch. All is going well for her.

Here is a picture of the first one with some chicks.

40058_dscn9178.jpg

The roosters are getting the long feathers now.

We got a golden Phoenix chick in our order from cackle last spring and she is the sweetest bird. She's always the first one to come say hi and follows us around. Looking for treats I'm sure. She lays a small caramel colored egg. She is one of my favorites because she's so sociable and curious. She definitely isn't a pushover though, she's very near the top of the pecking order. She's the only Phoenix we currently have or have ever had, so she may not be typical, but I hope she is! :)

Back
Top Bottom